OMG!! We have babies!!

rykna

Originally Posted by MonaLisa
Joshua who? Ohhhh, you mean Jonah

I gave the babies a little bit of frozen oyster eggs (NOT much), and I did see them snicking...good sign.
Here are a few pics...not my best work, but I think you can make them out.
Lisa
..yeah...Jonah
te hee... I knew it started with J.......
It looks like there's hundreds of the little fry! They're so cute!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good to hear they're getting full tummies
Can't wait to see more pics

monalisa

Originally Posted by Rykna
..yeah...Jonah
te hee... I knew it started with J.......
It looks like there's hundreds of the little fry! They're so cute!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good to hear they're getting full tummies
Can't wait to see more pics

I don't know if they're getting full tummies. They had their first brine shrimp dinner tonight...can't really tell if they were all that interested. We'll see.
Lisa

old_salt

Congratulations! Were you able to find out what type of rotifers should be fed to the fry? I tried some that I purchased from a LFS but not sure if any of the newborns actually every ate any of them. I didn't see any of them snick anything until I started adding new born baby brine. I still have 11 remaining and they are eating 24 hour (mixed with new born) baby brine soaked in Selcon and Vita Chem. They appear to be much stronger now and have no problem staying away from the overflow sponge. I have tried shaved frozen Mysis and shaved frozen brine but they aren't interested in it yet. Please keep us posted on their progress.

monalisa

Originally Posted by TeresaQ
the place yu just mentioned also sells enrichments with dha, the same stuff we feed our babies.
T
I ended up getting a phone call Sunday morning from that place, and they're setting me up with the rotifers "starter package". I may need help setting this up, but it should arrive tomorrow.
I've had 4 casualities so far, but otherwise the little buggers are doing pretty good from what I can see. I'm honestly not holding out a whole lot of hope of getting too many of my babies through, but I'm sure going to give it my all. They're SO tiny and incredibly cute!!
Lisa

teresaq

do a search on the clown forum, There is some info on growing rotifers. Either under bang guy or ocean something.
Teresa

monalisa

Originally Posted by Old_Salt
Congratulations! Were you able to find out what type of rotifers should be fed to the fry? I tried some that I purchased from a LFS but not sure if any of the newborns actually every ate any of them. I didn't see any of them snick anything until I started adding new born baby brine. I still have 11 remaining and they are eating 24 hour (mixed with new born) baby brine soaked in Selcon and Vita Chem. They appear to be much stronger now and have no problem staying away from the overflow sponge. I have tried shaved frozen Mysis and shaved frozen brine but they aren't interested in it yet. Please keep us posted on their progress.
I wish I would see my little ones snicking, so far I haven't. I'm holding out hope that there are plenty of pods in the algae pocket that I placed in their nursery. I just set up the second batch of brine shrimp for them (not sure I'm doing that right either). This evening I thought that I would put some live phytoplankton in the nursery to see if nothing else it would cause a pod explosion...hopefully.
Lisa

rykna

I wish I would see my little ones snicking, so far I haven't. I'm holding out hope that there are plenty of pods in the algae pocket that I placed in their nursery. I just set up the second batch of brine shrimp for them (not sure I'm doing that right either). This evening I thought that I would put some live phytoplankton in the nursery to see if nothing else it would cause a pod explosion...hopefully.
Lisa
They're just 2 days old right?
I've noticed that my baby ponies don't start eating till the 2 or 3 day. Most fry, when born, retain a little part of their egg sack to supplement them through the first few days of life. You can really see the food sack on baby mollies.

monalisa

This is really odd...on Saturday, after the birth, there were EASILY 40-50 babies in the nursery. Since then I've taken out 4 that didn't make it, and I see another 3 that may not make it. I see only 4 babies out and about eating brine tonight....do the math...where are the rest of my babies?? Really wierd.
Lisa

rykna

This is really odd...on Saturday, after the birth, there were EASILY 40-50 babies in the nursery. Since then I've taken out 4 that didn't make it, and I see another 3 that may not make it. I see only 4 babies out and about eating brine tonight....do the math...where are the rest of my babies?? Really wierd.
Lisa
???????????????????????????
You put them in a nusary tank right?????

monalisa

???????????????????????????
You put them in a nusary tank right?????
You bet I did, they're in a 3 gallon nursery tank, bare bottom with a bubble wand, heater covered with a sponge, and an algae pocket from the big tank...IDK...
Lisa

rykna

You bet I did, they're in a 3 gallon nursery tank, bare bottom with a bubble wand, heater covered with a sponge, and an algae pocket from the big tank...IDK...
Lisa
Check the Sponge!!!! My babies love to hang out and hide in the sponge. I'll be praying for you.

Lisa I dunno y I didn't think to mention this b4...Ive had sick kids so I have been a lil busy but I had my fry in a 3gal hex w/ a bubbler and during feeding time I would turn the main light off and put a smaller light at the bottom corner of the tank at a downward angle....this attracts all the bbs to the light hence the lil ones follow them there and u can observe feeding MUCH easier. HTH
Good luck with the rest of ur bunch, Ive been in ur shoes I had a male that would have new fry every 28 DAYS like clockwork

It is a very cool thing to see I must admit but it is something that needs constant attention and if ur horses are breeding it takes even more time and devotion....well worth it IMO if u have the time

rykna

Originally Posted by bgrae001
This is so cool. It makes me want to set up a sea horse tank..

The surrounding coasts in Iraq are prime seahorse habitats
Grab your snorkel and wet suit

carrieabn

If I'd known that I would have asked my hubby to bring me some home from Iraq!
All he brought back was a bunch of stinky Army stuff!! And himself and all his buddies.

rykna

Originally Posted by carrieabn
If I'd known that I would have asked my hubby to bring me some home from Iraq!
All he brought back was a bunch of stinky Army stuff!! And himself and all his buddies.
men....

monalisa

Check the Sponge!!!! My babies love to hang out and hide in the sponge. I'll be praying for you.

Definitely no babies tonight...I guess I shouldn't be surprised since I felt so ill prepared. I'll keep the tank going until tomorrow to see what happens, but I don't really feel too optimistic. Ugh...poor little ones...I wish I knew more, next time I'll hopefully be better prepared...this has been a TOUGH week!!
Lisa

bgrae001

Yeah, ok. I guess I forgot to pack my wet suit in my flight helmet bag.. lol Besides I don't think there are many seahorses in the Euphrates and Tigris rivers.