One Spot Blenny

mylady

Well I picked up my one spot blenny today at the LFS. I am acclimating him right now and this is the first time I've ever done it by myself. A little nervous about it. I can't seem to get the drip as slow as hubby does but I think it's okay. Also got hubby a surprise for when he comes home. Hope he likes it. Once I get Falcor, my blenny, into the tank, I'll take some pictures. He's a pretty big guy. Hoping he does well.

mylady

Well, the batteries in the camera died after taking only one picture, but here is the one I got. It's not time to turn the lights on yet and he likes to hide, but I think this one came out pretty well. Isn't he adorable?

mylady

Went to take more pics today and once again, the batteries died. I think our rechargables are not holding a charge. He only had his head sticking out from behind a rick, just relaxing. I just love the way their heads are. Almost looks like he has little flowers on his head. Plus that grumpy gus face, Just too cute. He's pretty big too, not as small as the last one they had in or as small as what we usually try to put in the tank, but with how long it took to get him, i wasn't going to worry about it. I wrapped some algea around a rock with a rubber band and put it in the tank for him. Don't know if he's eaten off of it but I saw the orchid dottyback picking at it this morning.

spanko

He is a great looking fish, hope all goes well for you as the Pseudochromis and Blenny are a caution for compatibility.

mylady

So far everyone is getting along well. He seems to like resting on the dragon eye zoas. Don't know if hubby will be happy about that. He hasn't done anything to them, just rests his head on them and likes to perch. I guess I assumed he'd stay on the bottom but seems to like being on top of the tallest rock. I took some more pics. I guess it would have helped earlier if I had put the batteries in the right way. I'm going to blame my stupidity on how sick I am right now and my lack of sleep. Yeah, that's it. So here are some more pics of my cutie pie.

btldreef

Cool little fish. Blennies are perchers. You'll find him all over your tank. My black combtooth is NEVER more than half way down my tank.

monsinour

I have to say, the pics dont do him justice. He is a very cool fish. He has taken to perching on the heater (highest part of stability in tank) as well as my new 'bonsi tree' algea. Wife just took another one, going to have to see if it came out better. And yea, he does look like falcor from never ending story a little bit.

monsinour

Do these things eat coraline? I see Falcor picking at the rocks in places where there isnt any green stuff growing. I have seen him pick at the red stalky stuff and somehow the algea strip is completely gone by morning. I dont ever see him eating the mysis or vitamin soaked brine when I feed that. Is it safe to assume that he is eating the strips and all is ok?

btldreef

He shouldn't if there's enough other algae for him to eat. He might scrape a little off the rocks here and there, but he shouldn't be depleting the rocks of it. Coralline is algae, and they are algae eaters, so anything is possible, but I've never had a blenny tear off algae.

monsinour

Well, I still havent seen him eat any of the algea strip. But when I watch the tank, he watches me and doesnt really do much but stare at me with one eye. I am sure its a "who is that and what is he doing" kind of thing. I do like how he acts in the tank. The wrasse has yet to do a thing to him. His addition does seem to have calmed the wrasse down a bit. The next addition will either calm the wrasse way down, or wild kingdom will happen in the tank. Coral Beauty or Flame Angel is next.

btldreef

Do you only put the sheet on a clip?
My blennies will not eat it this way. Try holding it in front of a powerhead or your return and rub it between your fingers to break it up. It will look like flake food all over your tank. I've found this to be the best way to get algae to everyone. Out of all of my fish, I've had very few that will eat the sheet right from the clip. Breaking it up like I described will help it get stuck on rocks, etc and then even the hermits, urchins, etc will get some.