Opinion

nm reef

I'd think a closed loop system could potentially provide much more current without any equipment in sight other than the returns.Plus you could better regulate and direct the flow. I've never used a closed loop myself but I intend to seriously consider one if I ever get the opportunity to develope a new reef.:cool:

T

thomas712

To me it always meant less equipment and less chance of stray voltage.

birdy

I am going to do this on my new tank, if anyone has a good diagram of a closed loop they could post it?

nm reef

A closed loop is basically water entering a remote site and promptly being returned to the display via a pump and returns inside the display. It is more of a continious loop than a sump/refugium type set-up...without the skimmer. Just a means of directly removing water from the display and returning it at a relatively high rate back to the display.:cool:
Click the image for access to my website

nmreef@cox.net

D

daniel411

Are their tanks with built ready for a "closed loop" from the manufacturer? Or is this simply a diy type project. I've still never seen a functioning closed loop system, or even a non-functional one.

clarkiiboi

Interesting---I am too just learning this all for my upgrade to a 150 and thought by taking it to the sump then pushing to the fuge and back to the tank was a sort of closed loop. Still got some learning, it never ends. If it is done this way, PH are still needed then? Sorry for the step in flamingkingofhe that is not my usually my style.

birdy

Clarki- I was thinking of doing the same thing, from the overflow to the sump/refugium to the tank via spraybar, is there any problem doing that?