Opps

chub

Ive lost all my fish do to some unknown reason. Now Before I start over if I do what should I do I want to clean up the tank inside do I break it down? take out most of the LR and clean up sand and use filter the remove sediment? I think the best thing is to remove everything, clean tank and put it back together any ideas would be help. I'll be home for 10days starting next week so I have the time.

woody189

Originally Posted by chub
http:///forum/post/3067012
Ive lost all my fish do to some unknown reason. Now Before I start over if I do what should I do I want to clean up the tank inside do I break it down? take out most of the LR and clean up sand and use filter the remove sediment? I think the best thing is to remove everything, clean tank and put it back together any ideas would be help. I'll be home for 10days starting next week so I have the time.
That sucks man. Sorry.
Before you tear it down, try and figure out the cause. You dont' want it all to happen all over again.
What happened to the remaining fish?? They all just died? Were they acting unusual?? Did they have anything weired on their bodies?
Is the Clean up crew still alive??
Check for stray voltage as suggested.
You don't wanna start a new tank and have everything die all over again, so figure it out. Considering your levels were normal, it probably wasn't something that you would expect, like bad maintenace. More like a mistake like contaminating the water, or the voltage thing.

chub

I'm thinking what happened was the guy who was looking after it when I was gone didnt see the 5 1 gal jugs of top off water in front on the aquarium and filled it using tap water. THere was a cromis left crabs and snails seamed ok Yesterday. I'll check everything out on Monday. Nothing will be added for a month or so

woody189

Originally Posted by chub
http:///forum/post/3067469
I'm thinking what happened was the guy who was looking after it when I was gone didnt see the 5 1 gal jugs of top off water in front on the aquarium and filled it using tap water. THere was a cromis left crabs and snails seamed ok Yesterday. I'll check everything out on Monday. Nothing will be added for a month or so
If you were away, then I'm sure it wasn't your fault. He was probably doing something wrong, like the tap water.
Why don't you just ask him.

chub

I did he doesnt remember where the water came from...........i'm sure he used tap water because all the jugs were still full and so was the storage container.

woody189

I really don't think you have to start over then or clean the stuff.
I would just do a couple 25% WC's and pick up where you left off. Just make sure all levels are straight.

chub

I'M thinking on what to put back in the tank when i'm ready. 6-7 fish is the plan would like to have at least 2 larger ones dwarf Angel etc a couple of clowns Corals are in the plans down the road and ideas?

crypt keeper

you should never have trites in your tank along with fish. Ever. Unless something is wrong or a dead fish is rotting away causing an ammonia spike. Trites will kill your fish fast.
If your trites are spiking up and down like you say you have an issue in your tank and need to figure it out fast. That is the cause of the death.
How much live rock? what is your filtration like?

mantisman51

It is very common for city water to have nitrite/nitrates in it, especially if the city is pumping from a shallow well. When I lived in Reynoldsburg, Ohio, the water was up around 25-50 nitrites and about the same for nitrates from the faucet. I wouldn't go into panic mode so fast. Hell, the fish are already dead.

chub

The city water where I live smells like fish this time if year. Its going to be at least a month before I add anything. Just to busy at work

flower

JMO
Something frightened the fish to cause them to jump. Do you have moonlights? They help allot with letting the fish see a predator, or from being spooked at nothing.

chub

Ive cleaned up the tank a bit did a WC bought a new test kit everything test fine. Now its going to be a while before I add any fish I may add a few snail/crabs. Should I turn my biowheel HOB filter? I use it very little.

zmydust

Maybe they just wanted to see wha was out there. And with that ugly eggcrate gone, it seemed like a good time. Besides all the previous fish went out there and haven't been back, so it must be something unbelieveable.

briand7878

I dont know why tap water would kill your fish. Thats all I add to my tank. When I was using RO water I was getting algae like mad. Tap water does the trick for me. Good luck either way. My fish and corals are thriving.