Orange Linkia Starfish

bang guy

I don't know what species of Starfish that is. It doesn't look like Linckia to me but I am not a Starfish expert. I would get a second opinion from a knowledgeable hobbiest before buying one of those. They typically do poorly execept in large mature reef tanks.
If the store actually listed it as "Linkia" I would stay far away.

flower

Linkia have longer arms. They almost look like froma starfish, but than I have never seen one with black tips before. Starfish are hard. They need a super stable tank, and just the right kind of algae growth they want to feed on to survive. The meat eaters and coral gobblers do better, chocolate chip stars are pretty hardy, but such stars are not reef safe. If you have a FOWLR...a general star is bright red and basically the same as the CC star just a different color.
Serpent and brittle stars are easy although seldom seen, but reef safe.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by goingcoastal http:///t/390408/orange-linkia-starfish#post_3457179
i have a knobby now..had for months does good
They are meat eaters too, bits of wasted food from the fish is what they eat...when they grow large enough I read they are not reef safe and start eating coral (Not knowing your tank, I don't know if that matters to you)

novahobbies

I agree with Flower, the web image here looks like some species of Fromia to me.
From what I understand, there's actually no such thing as a true orange Linkia genus.....the common Linkia name is used to describe a few stars with roughly the same body type: long, cylindrical arms being the most common feature. The doctor's site lists the orange star as a member of the Echinaster genus, and the "purple linkia" as a member of the Tamaria genus.
Fromias, Linkias, and Echinasters are all difficult animals to keep, despite their beauty. I had a small Fromia for a while before it got caught up in a powerhead (my fault, IMO) but honestly not long enough to consider it a success. These buggers are DELICATE.

bang guy

+1 Linckia are extremely delicate. The Multiflora is probably the hardiest but it is also what I would consider delicate.

bang guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongeycrab http:///t/390408/orange-linkia-starfish#post_3484021
I don't know much about starfish but why do you think that?
Just a gut feel. It's the combination of a young tank, new hobbiests, and the "I bought this now what is it and how do I take care of it" type post. These type of Starfish are far more delicate than any seller will tell you. Even in the wild a hard rain will kill all of them from the shallows. For this particular individual I would put the odds of success with this Starfish at 1 in 100.

S

siptang

It is very delicate. I heard that the wild caught ones, you would have to feed it manually but I guess that depends on the nutrients and debris in the tank.
I'm getting an blue one tomorrow.