OT- Anyone else on this Atkin's Diet??

ryebread

Well......the soon-to-be wife has decided for us that we need to lose some poundage before the wedding day (Only four weeks away).
She is making me do this Atkin's Diet with her where you don't get to eat any carbs..........well......20g per day which is basically none. I am not a big meat-eater and I am at a loss as to what the heck I can eat........I'm starving!!
Anyone have any good foods that you would like to share with me in my time of pain? HELP ME! I NEED NOODLES and POTATOES.
"Can't have carbs, carbs are the enemy".......in an overweight Scottish accent.
:( :( :( :( :( :(

firecopemt

The Atkins diet is a good diet, but only for those that want to lose alot of weight. It is not intended to be used by someone that only wants to lose 5-10 pounds. It is to be used for people that are 20 or more pounds overweight. I know of alot of people (friends) that have used it and are still on it. One of my friends has been on it for 3 years, but is taking in 40-60 g's of carbs. His doctor recommended it to him and also told him to start off at 20 grams of carbs a day until he lost the weight that he wanted to lose. After he reached his goal the doctor told him to bump his carb intake up to 40-60 grams a day to maintain his weight. He also told him that after he was at the weight he wanted to be at then he should be on the diet for a week, then take 2 days off and eat what he wanted, then to go on it for a week, then off for 2 days. He says that it works great, and recommends it to everyone that wants to lose alot of weight.
There are alot of internet sites out there that give meals for the Atkins diet that arent half bad. One thing that my friend loved was not having to give up his beef.
Also the Atkins diet has been around for quite along time, and has had numerous studies done on it. Most of the started after Dr. Atkins had his heart attack, and if I remember right most of them concluded that if he hadnt been on the diet that he would have suffered the heart attack much sooner and the outcome would have been more severe. There are always going to be bad things about a diet.

wamp

Well, I'm fat. The last diet I was on was like Trojan talked about. I moved more, but ate more.. I ate 6 meals a day.. Small meals..
I lost 30lbs in 6 months. As soon as I stopped walking, I gained it all back... So, I'm still fat:)

firecopemt

I work out quite a bit, and all I have to say is that its not really what you eat or how much you eat IF you work out, but you have to watch your calorie intake. I am currently eating around 3000 calories a day, and I divide them up between 5 meals.

broomer5

Ham & cheese omlets.
Egg salad real mayo.
Cheese - all types
Meats - try some new dishes - chicken wings are a freebie.
One green salad a day
My wife is on it - so I am sort of on it by defualt for dinners.
Rye - if you don't like meat .... this diet is not for you ;)

I'm unhealthily overweight (I mean, not like really obviously overweight) and people like to ask me if I'm pregnant. I mean, I'm not like the really big women with flaps on their arms or anything, but my weight is causing heart and asthma problems. Unfortunately, with school and studying, exercise is hard to come by. The most exercise I get all day is climbing the stairs to Marine Biology 101 on the second floor. Right now, I'm at 5'3" and 170 lbs. However, I have stopped eating fast food and now eat only at home except on special occasions (Mardi Gras this weekend counts as one :) ), and have lost almost 5 lbs. in the last month or so. :cool: I'm proud of this, but I still have a long way to go... :(

ryebread

Frightening words from a man about to take his vows!
I was joking a bit with those lines........truth is, I want to try to be on it with the fiancee so it is easier for her to deal with. I don't think she would do very well if I was cooking whatever I want while I give her a hamburger with no bun. Since I do all of the cooking.......it will be easier anyway.

jumpfrog

My wife and I have been on it for about a month. I'm down 10lbs and she's down 15. I'd probably do better but I haven't given up the beer. Supposidly "free" carbs, but, I'd probably lose more without the beer. Buy hey, I gave up potatoes!:mad:
Good Luck with the pounds and even more well wishes for matrimony. When you find the right one it's great!

overanalyzer

Originally posted by Jillian Ayers
I'm proud of this, but I still have a long way to go... :(

Jillian - just remember it is a long distance race - not a sprint. I too was grossly overweight - 288 pounds and standing 5'8" (with spiked hair - hahaha)
I tried everything- inlucding atkins - finally did slim4life - I am now down to 215 and still losing ....
Rye - drink lots of water - it makes you feel full and helps your body metabolize food faster. I try to get 80 ounces of water down me a day (10 - 8 ounce glasses of water a day ....)

scotts

Rye,
Like broomer said, my wife is on it and I am by default. She loves it. One thing about the diet is that you do not have to be hungry, just eat certain foods. Go to their website and see what you can eat.
Fortunately I do not need to diet because it would be hard for me to give up my bread and potatoes.
Scott

kinetic180

Have you and your fiancee ever considered going on the Zone diet? It is actually very similiar to the Atkins diet but you are allowed to eat more carbs(not much more). You may be able to adjust to this diet easier and hence stick with it longer. Also, you can get alot of recipes for this diet which would make it that much easier.
Jen

volitan

I did the Atkin's diet for about a month and I can tell you now, I have never craved a peice of bread so badly as when I was on the diet. I like meat and cheese but not that much. If you want to trim up a bit, I would do three things: 1. Eat 6 small responsible meals a day. Cut way down on sugars and carbs. 2. Don't eat within 4 hours of bedtime. and 3. Achieve and maintain your target heartrate for 30 minutes per day.

R

rogeta

With a name like Ryebread it must be hard..lol I personally could not do it be cause i like my potatoes and my staple food is pasta lol. So i commend you on your good deed and wish you the best of luck..with both marrige and the diet :D
Looking up,
Rocco

ryebread

I think I will be okay..........
This morning I made myself a Turkey and Cheese omlet and I have discovered that you can eat as much sugar-free Jell-O with Reddi Wip on it as you wish. Whoo Hoo!
I am having a Grilled Chicken Caesar salad w/ no croutons for lunch. I should be fine. I am not one to quit anything so I am not worried about falling off of the diet but, I sure can complain about it. :p

kelly

Rye,
Recently I found out that I had high chloresterol, so the doctor recommended I try changing my diet, and then after six months said I will go on medication.
This was just before Christmas, talk about a nice present!!! Since then I have lost 20 lbs, I really was not that much over weight ... 6 ft tall and 207 lbs.
I have basically cut or reduced fat from my diet. I eat very little red meat, mostly turkey, chicken and fish. I eat slightly just about the same as I did before, and really do not have problems with hunger.
I just use fat free / low fat foods, watching the calories in the food itself. I do not count calories, just watch the fat and cholesterol. Things seem to be going well... I will get checked again in May for cholesterol. Turning 50 this year, and not being to active (work at home on the computer), the diet / eating style has worked for me. The Adkins diet would not be recommended for me.
Try cutting out the fat, and you may be able to loose about 10 lbs in a month, depending on what you ate before.
Best wishes on your diet, and hope you have a good and successful marriage like my wife and I. It will be 30 yrs this year.

mdhyde

The Atkins diet really works! I lost soem good poundage on it.
Carbs and sugars are your true enemy. The less you eat, the more you lose.
Some suggestions:
NUTS Macadamia Nuts only have 1 carb per ounce.
Sunflower or pumpkin seeds
Avocados. Cabbage Brussel sprouts. Romaine lettuce. and VERY good for protein with no carbs.....mushrooms!
Slim Jims/ Salami/ pepperoni sticks
If eating at Fast food, buy burgers with extra lettuce and mayo (if you like mayo) and throw away the bun using the lettuce as the bun instead (surprisingly good!)
Also Atkins makes "protein" bread and carbo-less pasta. Find this at the health food store.
And my favorite...........any meat you like cooked mexican style. Like ground beef or chicken etc. Then SMOTHER it in chesse, sour cream and Guacamole! MMMMMmmm
I lost 17+ pounds in 14 days on the induction diet. I was 6'3" 250lbs when I started. I am still 6'3" but now under 230lbs. :)
And you can have a potato...just reverse the process. Peal the potato as usual, but eat the peels and throw away the inside! hehehehe

scotts

Rye,.
I do not know if you have a sweet tooth but around here the health food stores carry the Atkins candy bars. The wife says they are good. She also eats almonds by the handful. Oh yeah you can reduce chicken stock (Boil off the water) with some seasoning to act as a gravy.
Dude someone has to say it, You are going on this diet for you soon to be wife and you do most of the cooking. Man you are PW'd already. :D
Just kidding, I do most of the cooking too. :cool: At least this year I did not have to make my traditional lasagne while watching the Daytona 500. ;)
Scott