ot - how much have you spent on your tank?

northshore

interesting how everyone has spent so much money on this hobby....specially during this depressed economic situation our country is in.....not to mention THE WAR....so while we sit in our homes watching our beautfule tanks.....lets not forget the U.S. tanks that are in the middle east killing hundreds if not thousands of innocent women and children.

northshore

sorry...i didn't mean to get u depressed...its jus that i sorta felt guilty today spending money on this hobby....i don't know why i jus did for the first time....guess cuz i was watchin cnn last nite and saw how those people were livin underground...literally with dirt walls around them.....wondering how they were gonna feed their families their next meal......

jodilynn

I too get depressed about the war and I decided to adopt a soldier. It was in our newspaper today and is where you go to the website http://groups.msn.com/hugstokuwaitadoptasoldier where U.S. and British soldiers in the Persian Gulf have been "adopted" receiving care packages such as socks, underwear, lip balm, sunblock and snacks as well as letter or messages. I am going to contact the website and mail out things once I have a good amount to send. Anyhow, onto the tank subject...
My husband and I have spent over $3,000 in just the past 6 weeks or so starting our 75G tank with new oak canopy and stand, 65lbs new live rock, 3 inch sandbed of new aragonite, ecosystem, overflow kit, 4 vho lights w/fan, wavemaker, 2 moonbeams, new pumps (1mag,3maxi), powerstrip, 250w heaterI could go on and on. This is after spending a whopping $2,000 on a 29G last year that was sold to us with an undergravel filter, hawaii puki shell, 15watt flourescent bulb, 200 watt heater, skilter, etc...:mad: . Of course, we then had to buy more stuff shortly thereafter including aragonite, powercompacts, remora skimmer, fluval, etc..... I could go on and on. I also have around 40lbs live rock that I still need to put in my new 75G tank from my 29G.
The only reason my husband was happy to get me the new tank is because I let him get his Turbo Mini Cooper;)
Jodilynn

j21kickster

for my 20 reef i have spent about 1,000$ but that is with discounts and trades- it is worth way more if you add it all up

wrassecal

Originally posted by northshore
sorry...i didn't mean to get u depressed...its jus that i sorta felt guilty today spending money on this hobby....i don't know why i jus did for the first time....guess cuz i was watchin cnn last nite and saw how those people were livin underground...literally with dirt walls around them.....wondering how they were gonna feed their families their next meal......

Let's see, this weekend I spent $54.00 dollars on 3 bangaii cardinals, and $10.00 on di water. Then I spent $127.00 on stuff to send my son in Kuwait or Iraq or wherever they have him now, things like bags of candy and bubble gum and chips and Dr. Pepper, the kind of things they like to hand out to the kids they find around while the US military is giving them water and nutritious food. You know my son in the Marines that is helping to liberate Iraq so those people don't have to live literally with dirt walls around them or worry about someone planting chem or other ammunition in their schools, homes and mosques. I too was finding this thread interesting comparing how much we've all spent and getting a brief respite from the war....thanks a lot :( Oh and I used to name just my fish but now I've named my tank. I call it a Bradley:D

katara

About $3,000 & this would include 2 tank crashes (anenome)..but with the vho upgrade I'm planning on..add on another $500

broncofish

29g tank - $55
Homemade canopy-$10
Stand on sale at *****- $75
Homemade refugium- free
vho lighting- $85
35lbs base rock- $35
35 lbs live rock- $85
4" carib sea sand- Extra from a freind
Clowns tank bred- $40
Scooter blenny- $4.00
Cleaner shrimps- $32.00
Snails crabs- $15.00
Brittle stars- $20.00
Shrooms- $35
Xenia- Free
Calurpa- Free
==============$488.00
Coming home to this every night....Priceless;)
(I won't even star on numbers for the 90g, the 55g though:D )

nicky1.8t

lol i spent 500 ont all this

its a 55 gallon with 2 corals 70 lbs of live rock 300 wts of pc lighting
a euroreef skimmer 2 maxi jets a 4 inch maroon clown 10 blue legs 10 turbo snails 2 peperment shrimp and 4 emrald crabs

rane

I lost track somewhere but lets just say more then $2000 and less then $1,000,000.00...but closer to the $1,000,000.00 and I have nothing in my tank :( .......I think I will make that drink a triple

fishies

My first attempt of sw was very bad. That's when I decided that I wouldn't try it again until I had more knowledge and the money to properly set up up the tank. A 55, and 72 later, I don't count the money, because there is nothing I would rather be spending it on:)

E

elan

tank, lighting, stand, canopy, about $500 in fishing gear
everything else aproximately $3,000
knowledge learned from this site $0.00
Enjoyment - Priceless :)

hairtrigger

I don't even want to think about it. However, I know for a fact I could by a stylish new car with the amount. Ugh. Well, nevermind. I guess it's well worth the bucks given the satisfaction my tanks provide me. :cool:

overanalyzer

Originally posted by HairTrigger
I don't even want to think about it. However, I know for a fact I could by a stylish new car with the amount. Ugh. Well, nevermind. I guess it's well worth the bucks given the satisfaction my tanks provide me. :cool:

I drive a piece of crap pickup with no AC in order to afford my hobbies!
(we usually get a few weeks of 90 degree plus temps plus one week of 100 here in the summer) .....

I try not to think about it!!!! It detracts from the enjoyment if I think about the $$$
I will say this, anything that is this expensive is usually illegal in at least 48 states...;)

melissa v.

PIGEONCREEK1,
HA HA HOW TRUE, (ABOUT $2000.00 IN A YEAR ON A 29 GALLON) NOW I NEED A DRINK!!!!!!!!!!!
MELISSA V.

timsedwards

i just want to add the immortal words of my fiance...
"You spent HOW MUCH on some rocks?!?!"
:rolleyes: Im a mug for reefs!

hairtrigger

Hahahahaha, that's funny Draxx and Overanalyzer. I still havent gotten the heat fixed in my truck because I keep buying coral and spend all my free money. Wait, not free money, I meant extra money. I even went through the entire winter without heat in it. Just for a little time, and dedication reference. :D

overanalyzer

I always swear that each summer I will get AC or at least a sliding back window in my truck and something always comes up. Last year it was a dresser and a wardrobe I wanted to refinish. This year I am thinking it will be a large fish tank .....