OT. I am feeling old.

overanalyzer

Originally posted by elan
could afford a home, car, and a family with only his income.... how many college educated people out there can do that now?
and, for the techies.... remember the 300 baud modem?? remember how fast the 2400 seemed? and then the super fast 9600??? when did dialup become slow??

I just was reading some depressing stats on earning power ... but towards your second section
remember war games where they set the phone on the modem .... or when Bill Gates allegedly cliamed that no one would ever need more than 640K of memory ..... LOL

shep

As old as we want to be. I remember when I could go to my uncles pool hall and get a mickey mouse ice cream. I can remeber when I could fish and play in the rivers. I remember when huffy was a cool bike. I can remember Smoky and the Bandit Showing at the drive in. I fell asleep about ten minutes into it. I remeber my dad bitching about stamps going up to 20 cents I think. I can remeber buy smokes for him at the store. Was ma pa store about 100yrds away from the driveway. I went with a dollar on a good day and came back with smokes and a couple pockets of pal 1 cent gum. I remember when drinnks cost 50 cents at the rest area and that was insane. I have seen premium at 65 cents a gallon. And reagan and kadafi. Think I can quote close to what dad said "About time we got someone who will take up for us and bomb the piss out of them for missing coffee."
Am I old...hell no I'm 27, going on 15. You can only be a kid once...make it last forever. I have more toys than most kids dream of. I have 10k fourwheelers, lifted up trucks, video games in the house. It's all in how old you feel.:D

krunk

shep, yep i wish i could make it last forever. what im doing now with all mah friends probaly wont be as fun when i get older (not drugs or anything in that area)

scotts

Sorry to bring this one back, I just wanted to post for kyaney.
When my daughter was born she had an omphalocele. (This means that the skin over her stomach was not closed up) She was taken to a different hospital. I followed the ambulance to the hospital. I remember happily thinking "My daughter is in there" Then I realized that my daughter is in an ambulance. Talk about a high and low at the same time. She was operated on when she was less than 24 hours old. That fact still completely amazes me. She had a second sugery when she was 2 weeks old. After 30 days in the NICU she came home. While she was in the NICU the doctor would come by to check on her at all different times. I know that he came one time on a Saturday night.
She had to have a third operation when she was 20 months old. The surgery was scheduled for 1:30 and was expected to last about 2 hours. The other surgeries the doctor had that day went long. It did not start until 5:00 and ended at 11:00 at night. So the doctor had been in surgery all day, literally. It is not like he could say, I'm tired, I think I will finish this tomorrow.
She is 8 now and doing fine, but she has no belly button.
So all that I can say to you kyaney is Thank-you. Yes you may make a good living (at least I hope you do) but I am sure that you earn it. For instance this doctor loves to read books, but he doesn't have the time, so he listens to them on audio tape.
Scott

I'm 13 and I have an Atari, a Super Nintendo and a Plastation 1. Most of the time I choose the atari, Pong and breakout rock! snake is pretty awesome too:D
Waaaaa! I feel like a baby!;) I only remember two presidents, Clinton, and Bush (Blah!) Bush caused the stock market to go down when he declared war and my dad lost $100,000! :mad:
Anyway, Y'all can have fun bein old, I'm gonna go be a kid.;) :D :rolleyes: :p
-Nadia

robchuck

I was in heaven the day we got Intellivoice for our Intellivision video game system so some synthesized voice could say "B-17 Bommmmmmber". Those of you that know what I'm talking about can sympathize.
Some other 80's video game products that dominated my childhood: Nintendo's R.O.B. (that robot that spun gyroscopes and only worked with Gyromite); the Rad Racer 3-D glasses, "cheating" at Duck Hunt with the Nintendo gun; the Power Glove...man it's like I'm 13 years old all over again!
I also remember behaving very well in class so I could use the reward time to play games on the classroom's Apple IIe like Where in the USA/World is Carmen San Diego?; Oregon Trail; David's Midnight Magic...
Geez, looking back, I spent too much time on video games!

reeflooker

1. Does anyone remember what a milk box is for??
If so, you are old.
2. A few years ago, my boss's son asked him if Paul McCartney was with a band before WINGS. Wow

overanalyzer

Originally posted by reeflooker
1. Does anyone remember what a milk box is for??
If so, you are old.

We had a milk chute but all we got was the local paper

marvida

Wanna feel old? Wait until your first kid turns 30!
I remember where I was when Kennedy was shot. I was in 4th grade reading class. Late sixties got a little foggy, tried to hitch down to Haight-Ashbury once but fell asleep & woke up on Sunset Strip. Things got clearer in the seventies, family & all. I have always had a job I enjoyed and have always been well paid for it. Semi retired a couple of years ago & am now a public employee.
Life is what you make it, or don't.
Ken

broncofish

Originally posted by reeflooker
A few years ago, my boss's son asked him if Paul McCartney was with a band before WINGS. Wow

Thats not just youth, thats ignorance.

krunk

Originally posted by RobChuck
"cheating" at Duck Hunt with the Nintendo gun;

howd you cheat? i put a magnifing glass over the gun, never missed :D . god i love the game.

wrassecal

My grandfather owned a Rexall drug store in a small town in Texas. I remember the soda fountain, burgers and all the teenagers hanging out there. I remember sitting on a stool in the back and watching him fill prescriptions. It was before pharmicists, he was a druggist. I remember going down there in the middle of the night because someone needed medicine and he would go fill their prescriptions for them. He made me wait until I was 6 years old before he would let me have a bannana split. Then he made a big production of taking me down to the drugstore and making it for me himself. I always thought my mom had it made being a teenager in the 50's with a Dad that owned the drug store where all the kids hung out. I know I had it made having him as a grandfather.