OT: Is film dead?

Now, I know that film is not dead yet, but does anyone out there think that film is on its way out?
What is everyone's opinion?

lovethesea

:nope: hope not, most of us that are hooked on 35mm will always be hooked. I went kicking and screaming to the digital.
I do like it, but nothing like the 35mm.

niger12

I agree, I just recently bought a digital and I still prefer film when I am shooting outdoors. The digital format does suit my need it know attitude. I am going to try one of the SLR digi but I don't think I will completely drop film.

I would love to get a digi SLR, but there is no way that I can afford 1000 bucks for a camera. I got to play with a canon 300D and I really liked it. Too expensive . . . . even for santa. :nope:

watergal

I find more & more of my friends going digital. I have never been much of a camera person but I did buy a digital- Canon Powershot G5 & find that being able to look at the pictures right away is great. Plus, I think you can take better pictures with a digital. NO more waiting for the film to come back & find that half the pictures aren't good.

S

simm

I personaly dont think it will. There is still mcuh you can do with film that you cant with digital. Plus printing off ditigals to look like photos in my opinion are expensive. Digital SLR's are just way to expensive as well. Thats not to say they wont catch up but I really think film will always be around.

overanalyzer

Read yesterday that Kodak is no longer spending money on R&D for film. They are focusing on the photo printing business and the digital aspects of photography.
Do I think film will eventually die?? Yes - not immediately though.
I think we will see a lot more home photo printing done and as that area grows the 35MM cameras will drop in price - then you will see an upswing in sales ... which will delay the death of film.
Plus nothing ever goes away 100% - I am sure there are people out there running Salt Tanks using an under gravel filter ......

reefnut

lol, die UGF die!!!
Personally I will not purchase another film camera. The printer we have will not even come close to film quality but it does good enough for Christmas cards and such. If a higher quality picture is needed you can take a CD into a printing place and get high quality printouts.

tru conch

i dabble a little in photography, so heres my .02 worth
i like digital for everyday use, its easy, no hassle
but i like film, (esp bnw) for more "artsy" pics. its still fun to mess with shutter speeds, f stops with film, more hands on approach.

lovethesea

my sentiments exactly. I especially LOVE BW. I just shot a roll of it last week..can't wait to get it back Thursday. :joy:

tdelinski

I like my digital and I like my film camera. It really depends on what you are trying to do. Digital is easier to edit, copy the images to Photoshop and work wonders on them. But the control you have over film is just amazing.
Have a great holiday season
Tom D.

D

daniel411

Along with Kodak's reducing research in film. Another company, Nikan was reported to be discussing no longer carrying 35mm slr's.
Film will always be around if only for nostalgia/special purposes.

cwalters

IMO, I own a photo studio, we do weddings, seniors, events, schools, etc. If it can be shot we cover it. I jumped off the cliff this year and went digital. I have a canon 10d. I looked at the 1d but resolution was not high enough. I switched from using Mamiya 645 and Canon 1n bodies to all digital. I will not shoot film again. Digital is by far the way to go.

tonga_man

Originally posted by 007
I would love to get a digi SLR, but there is no way that I can afford 1000 bucks for a camera. I got to play with a canon 300D and I really liked it. Too expensive . . . . even for santa. :nope:

Is film dead - Probably... At this exact time - No... 007 - I believe you looked at some of my 300D photos and saw what the camera could do. I feel in the near future that many of the low end SLR's will be able to do the same. With time comes advancement. Look at what a PC cost three years ago and what you got. Processors have gone from 500 mhz to 3+ mhz and the price is now the same. Cutting edge technology cost money, but if you are willing to wait - the rewards will ultimatley justify the means. IMHO - Film is out and digital is in...
Reagards,

Tonga,
yeah, there is no doubt that the 300D is a good camera. i would love to get one, but unfortunately a little out of santa's budget.
I see you are a skydiver . . . I just recently went on my first jump. Undescribable feeling. Nothing on the ground even comes close.

D

daniel411

Originally posted by 007
I see you are a skydiver . . . I just recently went on my first jump. Undescribable feeling. Nothing on the ground even comes close.

Skydive Tecumesh(sp)?

No, not Tecumseh (or however you spell that place) . . not yet anyway. Probably this summer.
I had probably to most amazing de-virginizing that a skydiver could get . . . off the north shore of oahu in hawaii. I went from dillingham airfield, and old army strip from WWII. Anyway . . . since it was the last jump of the day and only instructors were going up, I got to see a hawaiian sunset from 14,000 feet :eek:
I could see the entire island chain, and the reefs below. Simply stunning.
I've driven the fastest cars, and ridden the fastest bikes and NOTHING comes close to falling 10,000 feet in 10 seconds.