OT - LOTR - what do you think??

D

daniel411

Haven't seen it yet either, though I heard it had endings for most of the main characters/people, the keep playing after the credits. Can't wait to see it though, loved the books when I was little.

I saw it last night at midnight........OMG.......seriously.......best movie ever. Definatley plan on going to go see it later this week. Fight seens are awesome, Liv Tyler is yummy as ever, and digital effects are jaw dropping. It's probably the best trilogy/ movie saga ever, Star Wars isn't even worthy of licking the gum off it's shoes

cincyreefer

It was good.... but there were some really stupid and predictable parts if you ask me. Still best trilogy ever though.
Except for maybe Mall rats, Dogma, and Jay and Silent Bob Strike back. :D

nm reef

Being a long time Tolkien fan...and being inhabited by the soul/spirit of Gandalf...I am ready to see the final part of the trilogy. I think what has been shown already has been beyond belief! The story and charactors have matched the books ... and the production has been flawless!! I have never seen any film based on a Novel that has done the justice to the origional that this series of films has done. Words can not describe how impressed I've been with the films so far...and this is from a person that reads the entire trilogy annually...and has for the past 20+years!!
Me...the wife...and my 11 yr old son plan to spend Saturday afternoon watching the first two here at the house...then go straight to the theater to watch the new part. I can't wait!!!:thinking:

fender

Very excited about seeing it this weekend. Will also be doing the Saturday marathon at home and then seeing ROTK. Been a long time Tolkien fan too, have read the books at least a couple dozen times over the years.

D

daniel411

Originally posted by cincyreefer
It was good.... but there were some really stupid and predictable parts if you ask me. Still best trilogy ever though.

What about Clerks and Chasing Amy?

broncofish

Still best trilogy ever though.

Thats not really a trillogy because it all starts with clerks, and chasing amy is also a big part of it. I guess it is more of a pentology.
Back to LOTR I am going to see it thursday, I am already pissed that they cut the saruman parts out, as well as the scourging of the shire.

There was a day back this fall when I had the oppertunity to go in 2 work late and I had rented the DVD of the 2 towers.(DVD was due back @ the rental that day) Never got the chance to watch the movie during the time that I had it so thought that I could cram it in before I had to be at work.
Tword the end of it my eye were going in circles between the clock on the wall and the timmer on the DVD player and the t.v.:nervous: :rolleyes: I think I did make it 2 work on time

Originally posted by Flamewrasse03
. . . Star Wars isn't even worthy of licking the gum off it's shoes . . .

Thats a pretty bold statement you got there . . . you can't be older than 20 to say something like that. :thinking:

how would these be considered a trilogy

rwhite

Haven't seen it yet, but will. I agree with NM reef, excellent adaptation, plus more. Of course, for those of us that read it annually, there are things left to be desired. I guess thats why they release the extended versions. They did a great job in the telling for those who have never read the books or the histories. I think the biggest downfall of the movies is the way "time" is not a factor. Gandalf leaves the Shire for Gondor and then back to Orthanc and detained. I think that journey took at least a year or more, but there was no time lapse. JMO but still love the movies.

dugan

. . . Star Wars isn't even worthy of licking the gum off it's shoes . . .
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
Hey since when did Star Wars start being called "Star Wars IV - A New Hope"?
I've been very impressed by the LOTR movies... they've been true to the books and beautifully done. Of course my poor husband, who's never read the books, gets mad when the movie ends and the story's not over...

Katie

broncofish

Originally posted by 007
Thats a pretty bold statement you got there . . . you can't be older than 20 to say something like that. :thinking:

I'm over twenty by plenty and agree. Star Wars does not hold a candle, return of the jedi was bad, and belongs in lucas' more recent over digitized movies. PJ had the obviouse advantage because his script was basicaly written by the best author of the past two centuries.

Originally posted by broncofish
. . . script was basicaly written by the best author of the past two centuries . . .

Granted that the LOTR is a good read as well as the Hobbit and the other middle earth books . . . there is no chance on this earth that, in any way, shape or form, J.R.R. Tolkien even comes CLOSE to being the greatest author of the past two centuries.

D

daniel411

Hey, I grew up on star wars! Remember all of the cool "action figures"! Love it. Although I enjoy LOTR more.
I've read the Hobbit, and the LOTR trilogy. What other "middle earth" books are there? Any others by Tolkien?

Go check out borders in the Novi Town Center . . . . there are about 3 or four other books about middle earth, but not necessarily about bilbo and company.
Not bad books by any means, just not as popular because there wasnt a movie about them. :rolleyes:

broncofish

Originally posted by 007
Granted that the LOTR is a good read as well as the Hobbit and the other middle earth books . . . there is no chance on this earth that, in any way, shape or form, J.R.R. Tolkien even comes CLOSE to being the greatest author of the past two centuries.

and why not. He is a best seller. Almost every state in the Union has a tolkien book on their classics list, he inspired(s) thousands to read. He invented languages, vast lands creatures and has had words added to the english language from his books. Don't get me wrong as far as modern authors I love Hemingway and and Vonnegut, as well as Thomas Pynchon, Ursula Le Guin, and William Golding, but could any of them interpreted Sir Gawain and the green night or read speak and write in throngs of dead languages. He has also written more than that with the similarian, roverrandom etc...
"Tolkien's influence has extended beyond literature and is evident in everything from the songs of Led Zeppelin to the popularity of the epic film trilogy directed by Peter Jackson. Although Tolkien is perhaps the most imitated author of our time, writers will be forever daunted by the complexity of Middle-earth, with its rich linguistic framework, detailed history and lineages, and precise structuring of narrative threads."
~Professor Tom Shippey~

fender

Tolkien was an incredibly gifted world builder and had a huge influence on writing, pop culture and the imagination of millions of people, but I wouldn't consider him one of the greatest writers of our time by any stretch. There are parts in the LOTR that DRAG and are painful - and add no value to the story as a whole. Tolkien was a good writer and a great linquist. Artistic and meticulous yes, a great literarary genious....no. This coming from a fan that has read the LOTR and the Hobbit as well as the lost tales and Silmarillion - many times.

broncofish

Originally posted by fender
There are parts in the LOTR that DRAG and are painful - and add no value to the story as a whole. Tolkien was a good writer and a great linquist. Artistic and meticulous yes, a great literarary genious....no.

YOu could say the same about Shakespear, fitzgerald, and DEFINATELY Steinbeck.