OT: To windows XP users

wamp

If you have a cable modem, you might know about the anoying ads that just appear on your screen even when your not around..
Alas, a way to stop them...
Click Start - Run
In the Run Box type- services.msc
click OK
Scroll down until you see Messanger
Double click this.
Then, on the General tab, Find Startup type and switch it to Disabled, then click Stop.
This should stop them.
It *Might* affect other programs you are using but if your a basic user, It should not affect a thing. Companies Use NetSend sowftware to push these ads to you. This just cuts that feature off.
Good Luck
P.S. This might also work with Windows 2000, not for sure though.

N

newreefers

THANK YOU, I have been trying to get rid of those **** things for about 2 months now!!

ijji

That is an unfortunate exploit of the network messaging which is included in Win2k & XP. The fact that they even can do that should be a crime.

demosthenes

Yeah, I hate XP also, and yet, I still continue to use it on all my computers. I'm thinking about going to Wal-Mart to buy a dirt cheap no-name computer with Lindows on it. It's a mix between Linux and Windows. It has all the perks of Linux, is completely customizable, but still works with all of the Windows programs! It sounds great, has anyone else heard anything about it?
PS Thanks for the help on the pop-ups.

ryebread

Thanks Wamp..........
I have been annoyed by those things for a while now and it was a simple fix. Good work McGuyver.

X

xxchris060

wow ok i just did it i hope i works. I give this thread a 5 (best!!!)

demosthenes

Yeah, this really did help a lot. Never know what you can discover by simply working your way through a system, in the off time from the tank that is.

bigeyedfish

definitely will work on win2k, but yes there might be some problems with other apps. xp sucks, stay with win2k if you can.
if you want to get rid of annoying adware like hotbar and gator, try some freeware called Spybot Search and Destroy, it'll clean up alot of hidden stuff you cant get to normally, (ie in the registry).

bigeyedfish

it comes from kazaa and imesh, but this thing can clean the spyware and adware out. if you want kazaa without the ads checkout kazaalite.com. all the workings of kazaa but no ads.

causeidm

I know I'm asking to get flamed by saying this..... buuuuuuuuuuuuut you guys just don't like XP cause you don't know how to use it. It has everything 2000 has plus its driver support is simply amazing. Sure, it's got the AOL user friendly devil look and feel to it, but once you get past that, it's really a pretty decent operating system..... at least its not Windows ME!

wamp

I'm with you causeidm. You can not beat the tools it gives you and the ability to administrate functions or set up seperate domains in one OS.
Sure, it looks cheesy, but everything has it's drawbacks.
P.S. You can still un-install some pop-up programs that kazaa installs. There are ways to work aroud them... At least with XP there is;)

bigeyedfish

i do agree that XP has a lot of cool new features (driver support is a huge plus). I'm an IT guy at work so i get tons of windows issues everyday. So far i've seen a lot of flakyness with XP compared to the same stuff run on W2k, a big glaring issue is wireless apps . XP just doesnt run them very well. Once they get the service packs down pat, i'll upgrade my home computer. at work i'm frustrated enough trying to keep things running, dont want to mess with the same crap at home.

reef fool

If XP sucks, what is better? I have also tried them all and it is by far the best OS for windows. Anyone that likes Windows ME should be commited!!
Mac is a whole other thing. A friend of mine works for IBM and refuses to use one. He has a Mac and swears by them!

richard rendos

I use XP and 2000 Pro...don't see much difference on the home user level. Why don't people like XP? Very solid operating system.