Our 29 Biocube and story

fcatch76

Hello everyone, some of you may have already seen my story in the "New Hobbyist" threads, but I thught I would get in here and have a diary of our tank.
The original plan:
"My wife and I discussed having one after we purchased our first home. I kept losing the battle as she remembers when she would help me clean our tropical tanks. A few months ago she became pregnant for the second time (we lost the first one early in the pregnancy). When she found out we were having a girl this time around, she told me I could get the tank since I won't have a boy to play with..LOL. After getting the tank in March, my cycle went fast and perfect for a first timer. Within a month I had clowns and a fire shrimp. Then on April 19th we had to go into the hospital for an early birth. We lost our daughter Sophia at 5 months into the pregnancy. I don't mean to make everyone sad, but this tank has become alot more than a pen for fish and such, but a memory of what my little girl would have watched as she grew up."
Now after seven months of a SW tank I am totally hooked and want more tanks...However, just the other day I learned my wife was pregnant again..
..As we are staying humbled in our thoughts, we are praying this is it!! Maybe, just maybe, another tank is in the works..

Pics of the tank as we have progressed:

Thanks for looking and I will post more when I get my Eagle Eye Zoas!

nissan577

Really really beautiful tank.
and sorry to hear that about ur kids
. but since shes pregnant again for sure you new son/daughter will grow up with alot of fish tanks in the house. wish you best of luck.
and i notice you have a fuge light in the back. you have a refugium?

fcatch76

Originally Posted by nissan577
http:///forum/post/2758702
Really really beautiful tank.
and sorry to hear that about ur kids
. but since shes pregnant again for sure you new son/daughter will grow up with alot of fish tanks in the house. wish you best of luck.
and i notice you have a fuge light in the back. you have a refugium?
yes, its the CPR small fuge w/ protein skimmer- it is pretty good too, I love it. Purchased it to help with my pods for the mandarins and the skimmer is working very well.

rebelprettyboy

Tank looks really good. How the clams doing in stock lighitng? and how long have u had them?
Sorry to here about ur daughter. Hope everything is well

fcatch76

Originally Posted by rebelprettyboy
http:///forum/post/2758742
Tank looks really good. How the clams doing in stock lighitng? and how long have u had them?
Sorry to here about ur daughter. Hope everything is well
Rebel,
The clams are roughly 3 months old, the tank is not stock. I have the Nano 4.36 upgrade. Was pretty simple to do (now they have an online video for install). Puts 144 watts of light to the tank. I am running:
1- 10k
2- Act.
1- 50/50
The Act. run for 10 hrs and the others are running 8. Keeping the clams higher is really the key. As I know everyone has there own opinion of this clam and PC topic, mine seem to be ok, meaning no bleaching at this time. The wife contributed these to the tank, so its my job to keep them going.
Thx for the kind words!

fcatch76

Some more pics taken tonight, close ups of corals and fish. My idea with ricordea was to get them to roll down the rock. So far it is working and these Ricordia (from SWF.com
) are making me look good!

Best Friends

I got the Loc-Line idea from PerfectDark- it is a great way to reroute water flow for dead spots. Learn something new everyday on this site..

nissan577

Really nice. i wanna do the upgrade to but idk it seems hard to do. well since i really suck DIY projects. lol. well nice tank.

fcatch76

Nissan,
Its not bad at all, they walk you through everything and if you get stumped you can all them for help. My only issue was they stated extra pieces in the install instr. that they did not actually give you. I spoke w/ them and they said they were trying to get a new video with updated install. So by now, I would assume all is ok with their video.

fcatch76

my green ricordea (SWF.com) doubled from 4 polyps to 8 since beginning of July and the Blue (also from SWF.com)went from 3 to 5 from end of July and is soon about to become 8. Clams are always opened fully and the toadstool is amazing.

nissan577

it makes me wanna get it but i guess i rather not. im ok the way i am with my stock light. and thats cool about your corals. i wanna transfer everything already but i have to wait. ima go test my water today to see what my lfs store says. i believe everything is ok since its cured lr and other stuff to.