out of curiosity? any "real" Italians here?

R

reefernana

Originally Posted by Veni Vidi Vici
Technically Pizza wasn't invented by the Italians.

Yes, pizza was basically invented (being a loose term) by the Italians.
Considered a peasant's meal in Italy for centuries we cannot say who invented the very first pizza pie. Food historians agree that pizza like dishes were eaten by many peoples in the Mediterranean including the Greeks and Egyptians.
However, modern pizza has been attributed to baker Raffaele Esposito of Naples. In 1889, Esposito who owned a restaurant called the Pizzeria di Pietro baked what he called "pizza" especially for the visit of Italian King Umberto I and Queen Margherita.
The first pizzeria in North America was opened in 1905 by Gennaro Lombardi at 53 1/3 Spring Street in New York City.
The first "Pizza Hut" a chain of pizza restaurants appeared in the United States during the 1930s.
Frozen pizza was invented by Rose Totino.

elfdoctors

I'm 75% Italian. My dad's parents both came from San Martino and my Mom's father came from Senigallia. I've been over there once but my Italian is lousy.

limitedslip

1/4 Russian (very interesting story of my grandpa, involving aushwitz, dr. mengele, russian/polish border during wwII, and alot of stuff like that, and no, I'm not jewish)
1/4 Portugese
1/4 Puerto Rican (which can be traced back to spain many many generation ago)
1/4 Irish
so I'm a mutt I guess ><

drea

love this thread, i'm such a loser, haha!
best way to learn italian, is simple books, such as "an idiots guide to learning italian" its actually not bad at all...
and italian music! its very poetic...

shrimpi

Originally Posted by Jmick
My wife is 100% Polish...I think she is the only person I know who is 100% anything. I am your typical american made of many different groups.
my grandparents are polish... they speak polish too.
So Im half polish I guess but ...polishness seems to stick out alot regardless of your percentage lol.
Polish and Proud ! Haha
Jessica

stdreb27

my great grandmother is from the northern part of italy. About all I got from that left is black hair.

R

reefernana

Originally Posted by stdreb27
my great grandmother is from the northern part of italy. About all I got from that left is black hair.
Wow, most northern Italians are very light haired because of the Austrian influence so close to the border. My grandmother's side from above Venice near Pordenone are all blonds and blue eyed.

jmick

Originally Posted by Shrimpi
my grandparents are polish... they speak polish too.
So Im half polish I guess but ...polishness seems to stick out alot regardless of your percentage lol.
Polish and Proud ! Haha
Jessica
my kids are half polish to :) The daycare girls that take care of our kids are also polish and speak it to, they are the best!

R

reefernana

Originally Posted by florida joe
All right all ready with the northern Italians I am 100 % Sicilian forgetaboutit
What.........are you jealous...............lol...........

You sound more like an Italian New Yorker...........

stdreb27

Originally Posted by reefernana
Wow, most northern Italians are very light haired because of the Austrian influence so close to the border. My grandmother's side from above Venice near Pordenone are all blonds and blue eyed.
shows how little I know, maybe that is where I get my red beard from. The only pictures I've seen were black and white and she had white hair by then.

drea

Originally Posted by reefernana

so true, and i'm the typical ny italian, even though i'm the "real" kind...
5'7" dark, brown hair & eyes! nd love the gym, lol

agent-x

Italiano o americani uno o l'altro

Your Italian or American, but blunted you are both?

agent-x

cosa sono voi che dite

it does I am you that you say?
I don't think I got that one right.

veni vidi vici

Originally Posted by AGENT-X
it does I am you that you say?
I don't think I got that one right.
lol i think maybe you did, im not sure

tangman99

Originally Posted by florida joe
All right all ready with the northern Italians I am 100 % Sicilian forgetaboutit
And you even live in Naples, Florida!