Out With Vista... In With 7...

rldavisou

Man, I tell ya. I bought my mother in law a computer with Vista on it for xmas... that was a biiig mistake. That was my first experience trying to use it and I wound up wanting to throw the computer out the window.
Notice how a lot of the things you read about Windows 7 says "based on customer experience, we have yada yada yada..."
At least microsoft knows they're peddling pond scum.

ice4ice

Windows 7 ... blah, blah, blah ... I've heard it all.
I've got Vista Ultimate and I have no problems with it whatsoever.
It's the downloadable version that gives folks the fits - especially when they don't have enough space/memory to support it. If it's not, then the real problem lies in when one is purchasing a new laptop/desktop with Vista choices and folks buying them without really researching how much hard drive AND memory is needed to run Vista smoothly. When I bought my new computer in 2007, I customized it to accomodate it with the maximum hard drive space & memory allowed to run Vista Ultimate. My recommendation is to stay away from the Home version of Vista. Get Vista Ultimate instead.
Believe me, I have done tons of research before going with Vista - right from when Microsoft was developing the new OS some 3- 4 years back up until the final version. And to say Windows 7 is going to be any better? I don't think so. In reality, all it is simply Vista in disguise. And to come to think of it, why in the world would Microsoft release a new OS months after Vista was released? Kinda makes you think doesn't it?
I'm sure there are some computer geeks here who may think otherwise. But in my opinion, get Vista Ultimate and make sure you can afford to get the maximum requirements to run it smoothly. I know I did.
Right now Microsoft will no longer be updating security updates for XP in the near future. In fact, I don't like XP at all and never did. Too many holes for hackers to exploit. Even when you do keep up-to-date with the updates.
PS - My last computer I had Windows Millenium. Never had security issues nor breaches from hackers and I loved that operating system. Why? Because hackers were too busy exploiting XP's flaws & holes. Windows Millenium got no attention.

sickboy

Yeah, my year old laptop has Vista and I love it. I don't know why people have probs with it, I sure haven't. In fact, once I got used to it, most things got easier. But, as stated above, this is a comp that is made to run it, so that is probably why.

aquaknight

Originally Posted by Ice4Ice
http:///forum/post/2906362
Windows 7 ... blah, blah, blah ... I've heard it all.
I've got Vista Ultimate and I have no problems with it whatsoever.
It's the downloadable version that gives folks the fits - especially when they don't have enough space/memory to support it. If it's not, then the real problem lies in when one is purchasing a new laptop/desktop with Vista choices and folks buying them without really researching how much hard drive AND memory is needed to run Vista smoothly. When I bought my new computer in 2007, I customized it to accomodate it with the maximum hard drive space & memory allowed to run Vista Ultimate. My recommendation is to stay away from the Home version of Vista. Get Vista Ultimate instead.
Believe me, I have done tons of research before going with Vista - right from when Microsoft was developing the new OS some 3- 4 years back up until the final version. And to say Windows 7 is going to be any better? I don't think so. In reality, all it is simply Vista in disguise. And to come to think of it, why in the world would Microsoft release a new OS months after Vista was released? Kinda makes you think doesn't it?
I'm sure there are some computer geeks here who may think otherwise. But in my opinion, get Vista Ultimate and make sure you can afford to get the maximum requirements to run it smoothly. I know I did.
I agree largely with this. People try and push a 64bit OS on an inadequate machine, of course there's going to be all the problems.
Some of the securities things that pretty much asked you three times if you wanted to do something, got old quick, but nothing some option tweaking didn't fix.

shogun323

Windows 7 looks great but I swear they are making it so similar to Mac OS.
The new feature of hovering into a corner / Expose from OSX
New toolbar option for pinning constantly used apps / OSX menu
New view for My pictures / iPhoto
Integration with Windows live / .Mac or Mobile Me account
With all these similiarities with Windows 7 and OSX if I were a conspiracy theorist, I would think they are postering for a merger in the next 5 years.
I can't wait to play with the Beta and I hope they deliver in regards to more efficient resource utilization as Ballmer promised.

rldavisou

So does Windows 7 have a new kernel or are we working off the same Vista kernel?
I don't really have a problem with the way Vista runs, I have a problem with the way it interacts with users, and the "security features" that microsoft built in. It seems like they tried to make it as secure as Ft Knox, but they couldn't make it smart enough to be that secure, so instead, the just locked it all down.

snakeblitz33

I don't know if I would want to go back to using a desktop. I'm way too used to my laptop now. IT's the only thing that I use for the time being. Getting on a desktop and not having it portable... not being able to take it to Books A Million to write or get out - man, that would suck.
Besides that, I am happy with Windows XP. I'm dreading the day that I have to upgrade because XP is so out of date. If I were to upgrade, it would have to be a breifcase sized laptop with tons of features that could operate just as fast as a loaded desktop.

silverdak

I have to say.. I dont know what all the crying about vista is for... I haven't had a single issue with it on my laptop since I bought it..... I like vista better than XP, I see no issues what so ever with Vista

ice4ice

Originally Posted by shogun323
http:///forum/post/2906833
Windows 7 looks great but I swear they are making it so similar to Mac OS. Like Leopard in Mac? Pffft ...
The new feature of hovering into a corner / Expose from OSX
New toolbar option for pinning constantly used apps / OSX menu
New view for My pictures / iPhoto
Integration with Windows live / .Mac or Mobile Me account
With all these similiarities with Windows 7 and OSX if I were a conspiracy theorist, I would think they are postering for a merger in the next 5 years.
I can't wait to play with the Beta and I hope they deliver in regards to more efficient resource utilization as Ballmer promised.
Why even bother playing with the beta version? Windows 7 is another Vista in reality regardless what Microsoft says. Methinks Windows 7 is going to require even more, if not, as much hard drive space & memory required to run smoothly. Not to mention, most older computers won't even be able to run Windows 7.

zsqure

neener neener neener I just bought a MacBook Pro goodbye "winders"

No more viruses, it can do everything I need it to do.
Bill.
Sorry, had to do that. It feels good to be on the outside looking in.
My buddy the IT guru closed the books on the "should I or shouldn't I" debate.

aquaknight

Originally Posted by zsqure
http:///forum/post/2909450

Bill.
My roommate just got his first pop up on his $3000 17" MacBook Pro. Be careful, your time is limited....

stdreb27

Originally Posted by Ice4Ice
http:///forum/post/2908778
Why even bother playing with the beta version? Windows 7 is another Vista in reality regardless what Microsoft says. Methinks Windows 7 is going to require even more, if not, as much hard drive space & memory required to run smoothly. Not to mention, most older computers won't even be able to run Windows 7.
I don't understand why people get ticked off at vista when they are running it on 512 mb of ram and some centrino processor. What do they expect?
Why would you buy something that is designed to run on older computers, I want something that will take full advantage of my computer. Not something that is obsolete out of the box.
Originally Posted by zsqure

http:///forum/post/2909450

Bill.
I'm not the one who just dropped 3 x the price of a regular computer for some heavily marketed computer that does the same thing as windows, whose OS requires just about as much computer to run, and did I mention the price?