Outbreak in my tank!!!

fish friendly

Howdy. Long time reader, first time poster here. I have been able to get a lot of great info off this site in the past few years. I have had several tanks over the past 7 or 8 years. Currently I have a 46g bowfront set up in my living room. This current tank is a carry over of my last tank (29g cube). It has been running now for over 4 months and doing quite well. It is stocked with 50 or so lbs of live sand and probably 60 lbs of live rock. There are a total of 7 fish, 4 Chromis, a

[hr]
Trigger and a mating pair of Maroon Clowns. Oh and a Happy little Cleaner Shrimp.
My question for you guys is about an explosion of small white sponges or filters, I think. I am familiar with different types of spiral worms, sponges, dusters and other little critters that cling to the glass and rocks This however is the first time I have ever seen these in one of my tanks. I am not able to take a pic of it, due to my wonderful camera! I have probably a hundred or so of them in different places. They have a small white body that almost looks like spun cotton. Out of one end they have what looks like a funnel. Im sure they are a benign type of sponge or filter but if any one knows for sure, please let me know. I know its hard without a picture. Thanks,
Greg.

fish friendly

LOL. Meowzer, nice call. Those are them! OK so their fine in my tank. Do they last or will I see a die off soon? Thanks for the quick response Meowzer.

meowzer

No problem....I get a lot of them in my sump/fuge...they will come and go I think. I think it has to do with excess nutrients...and flow...

deejeff442

yea +1 to meowser i get the also
funny you must have had two g's on the niger trigger cause the bad word blocker got ya

zero26

Is it true that they feed on silicates? I read somewhere if you have a bunch of these guys its a sign of high silicates.