Over feeding

tito3054

So I'm a little embarrassed Ive been in the hobby over a year now and have always fed my aquariums twice a day pellets.
But ive been recently told that twice a day is to much and it is probablyy the cause of my high nitrates. So I'm going to buy some cleaner clams to try to help with the trates.
If twice is to much how much should I feed them and what should I feed them.
I have mysis which I usually feed 1 or twice a week.
Any help will do to lower the trates and feeding.

meowzer

Cleaner shrimp for nitrates?? What do you have for a CUC?
I would feed the frozen foods daily and the pellets...maybe a pinch a week
Cut down on the food, and do some w/c and you should be able to control the nitrates...IF the food in the only thing causing them to be high

jackri

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3051654
Cleaner shrimp for nitrates?? What do you have for a CUC?
I would feed the frozen foods daily and the pellets...maybe a pinch a week
Cut down on the food, and do some w/c and you should be able to control the nitrates...IF the food in the only thing causing them to be high
Filtration, water changes, macro algae are about the only thing that will lower nitrates. Cleaner shrimp adds (although probably insignificantly) to your bio load that causes nitrates.
Overfeeding is the problem here.. fish don't need as much food as you think. Every two days is better than twice a day.

meowzer

Originally Posted by tito3054
http:///forum/post/3051670
So every twodays, mysis at wat time around afternoon.
I feed my tanks every day in the morning....I feed frozen daily...and I have thera+A pellets and formula 2 flakes that I put a pinch in weekly...probably more like every 1 1/2 weeks
I do not know what you have in your tank though

tito3054

I have 2 clown,2 atlantic tangs,1 dominoe dam.,3 yellow tail damsels, 1 manderin, 1 blue linkia,1 sandshifting star, bubble coral,green eyed zoas, 1 orange sponge a unch around 20-25 scarlet hermits,8-15 emerald crab,1 strawberry crab,2 porcelein crab,xenia branches, 1 scallop, a couple of snails, 1 Purple clam.and a couple more mushrooms.. . thats all i can think of right now

pete159

feeding twice a day is not to much at all. The only thing that would make it to much is if there is leftover food. learn exactly how much they eat each time and only add that much so there is no food rotting and raising nitrates.

tito3054

Im a little shocked. How long does it take before a testing kit become expired?
I did 4 test today for nitrates.
2 tests from my regular test kit which Ive had for over a year.
And 2 from a rairly used kit for nitrates.
The year long kit gave me a fuge reading of over 180 for trates and a tank reading of over 180.
But the rairly used have me 0 for fuge and 0 for tank reading?
What do you guys think?

soulsigma

tito3054;3051651 said:
So I'm a little embarrassed Ive been in the hobby over a year now and have always fed my aquariums twice a day pellets.
But ive been recently told that twice a day is to much and it is probablyy the cause of my high nitrates. So I'm going to buy some cleaner clams to try to help with the trates.
If twice is to much how much should I feed them and what should I feed them.
I have mysis which I usually feed 1 or twice a week.
Any help will do to lower the trates and feeding.[/QUOTE
Just a little sumptin I stumbled upon and hope it will help you as it helped me a lot........
Feed Your Tropical Marine Aquarium Fishes!

Today I’d like to talk a little about a favorite topic of marine aquarists—feeding. As marine aquarists, our hobby requires more consistent care than some other hobbies. If we stop looking after our aquatic charges—even for a relatively short time—their health may well suffer. Toward that end, and despite what you may have heard previously, feeding should be a daily endeavor.
Most Saltwater Tanks Should be Fed Several Times a Day
I’m pretty sick of hearing people recommend that saltwater aquarists underfeed their tanks. I even heard a speaker at a trade show tell a large audience to feed “maybe twice a week—that’s all they really need.” While it is certainly true that some animals commonly kept do not need to be fed daily, it is also true that the vast majority of community FOWLR and reef tanks should be fed at least twice a day.
If it’s true that most tanks should be fed twice a day, why is it that so many people harp on not overfeeding instead of not underfeeding? The answer is simple: Filtration. And, more specifically, insufficient filtration. When you add food to your aquarium, that food, in one form or another, is going to stay in the aquarium until it is filtered out. It follows that if you feed more, you are going to increase the nutrients in your tank, which may lead to decreasing water quality and algae blooms—the bane of many aquarists’ existence.
Filter More Instead of Feeding Less
The solution to excessive nutrients, however, is not to feed less. Instead, the responsible aquarist truly concerned with appropriately caring for his or her animals will ramp us the system’s filtration to be able to handle the nutrients associated with suitable feeding. It’s simple—increasing feeding and increasing filtration is, more often than not, a good thing in the tropical marine aquarium.
Long Term Effects on Health and Behavior
Why is this? I mean you may know someone with a beautiful tank who claims he or she feeds every third day or even less. While it is possible for many marine fishes to go for periods of time without proper nutrition, the long term effect is cumulative and will result in stress and health issues.
On the reef, there is a near constant supply of food in the water column and fishes are nearly always feeding. In our closed systems, especially ones that are less than a year old, this is clearly not the case. While a certain amount of foraging occurs in the tank, the fishes are very dependent on when you—the aquarist—feeds the tank. Feeding infrequently is not natural, and it will affect everything from the health to the behavior of your animals.
An Approriate Feeding Schedule
In a future blog entry, we can talk a little more about what to feed, but, as a general rule of thumb, try to feed a varied diet appropriate to the animals you keep 3-5 times per day. Each feeding can be relatively small (the old trick of feeding as much as is consumed in 5 minutes is an okay metric if you are feeding 3 or more times per day). Be sure to target feed any animals that are not aggressive feeders (e.g., jawfishes) at least twice a day, and be sure to use high quality foods (or even fresh table seafood) that will not unnecessarily increase the nutrient levels in your system.
Feeding more frequently is in the best interest of your animals in terms of their health and behavior—do it! And if you need to increase your filtration capacity, do that too.

stanlalee

all fish arent the same. depends on your stock. I feed my fish every other day. I have a sixline, clown and royal gramma. some fish require multiple daily feeding and some larger fish only require feeding a couple times a week.

tito3054

Originally Posted by tito3054
http:///forum/post/3053458
Im a little shocked. How long does it take before a testing kit become expired?
I did 4 test today for nitrates.
2 tests from my regular test kit which Ive had for over a year.
And 2 from a rairly used kit for nitrates.
The year long kit gave me a fuge reading of over 180 for trates and a tank reading of over 180.
But the rairly used have me 0 for fuge and 0 for tank reading?
What do you guys think?
Any One?