Overflow antisiphon

6stokes

I understand why you would want this (so tank doesn't drain during power outages), but how do you keep the display tank from overflowing if the overflow gets plugged up? Also, wouldn't this situation burn up the sump pump? :notsure:

bang guy

Squidd stole my line... LOL

The way to prevent flooding is to have two overflows, each able to handle the full load.
Other than that, it's pretty difficult. There's a balance between the size of the sump vs how full to keep the sump vs how much sump you need in case of a power outage.
External pumps tend to handle low water better than internal.
Internal overflows tend to fail less often than hang-on overflows.

shanev

If you have an expensive pump, and you would like a little backup you can also run a float valve. You can set most float valaves to turn off the pump when the water gets bellow a certain level.
AS this provides some insurance, keep in mind that float valves can and do get stuck, therefore dont always work.

nitram

Say you have the hang on the back overflow box and the power cutts off, the water will cotinue to siphon untill the overflow box is empty, then a hour later the power cutts back on, so your at work and not at home your sump pump kicks back on and runs untill the refug is empty and your pump continues to run and run and run and then it burns out, How do you keep this from happening how does this float valve work and were do you install it at?

shanev

You install it in your sump. You plug your pump into the float valve, when the water gets below the place you set (With the valve) It cuts electricty to the pump, preventing it from burning up.

bang guy

Originally posted by NITRAM
Say you have the hang on the back overflow box and the power cutts off, the water will cotinue to siphon untill the overflow box is empty,

That's not how overflow boxes work. Once the water level is below the lip of the box the siphon stops. When the water rises again the siphos starts working again.

B

brigmanj

Just get the CPR silent overflow box, lift pump, and filter. Works great and is super queit on my setup. I use 2 1400gph versions on my setup. And about the power issue just make sure that you have enough area in your sump to take the overflow from the tank.
Or the expensive way, get a generator. I live in FL and I found a use for the generator after this hurricane season. LOL

nitram

I have a small problem with my overflow box,I have a leak in side the tubbing. When you fill the box on the back of the tank it will drain down to the sump area around the bottom of the drain tubbs I put the black washers on the outside of the box. re they supose to be on the inside on the female side or like I have it on the male side. or are ther supose to be two washers, one on the outside of the box and one on the inside. If I have a power outage I will lose my siphaling because it drains down past the u shaped tubing so thats not good please help if you can. here is a pic I drew.

nitram

How do I know how deep to put my box on the inside to know how much it will drain down in case of a power outage so that it want over flow my sump?

squidd

Rubber washer goes on the .EDIT:" INSIDE"...over the male end,,,then "snug" the lock ring in place...
If you tighten it too much it can distort the washer and cause a leak...or you may even "crack" the lock ring, causing it to not "seat" properly...
Best bet would be to take it apart, inspect for cracks, rips or wrinlles and reinstall "snug/firm" but not cranked down tight...
As far as the inner box, run it as high as you can on the inside to minimize the water draining out...(with in the limits of proper opperation)...
As far as "will your sump hold it all..?"....That's pretty much a try it and see type opperation...(keep the towles handy)...you might need a bigger sump...
The "easy" way to do this is...fill the tank as high as the overflow will let it go...then fill your sump as high as you feel safe with (power out) ...and then turn the system on...
Hopefully the "extra" water in the sump is enough to get the siphon going, the tank to proper level and still have enough in the sump to cover your pump...
If you need to add water after you start the unit..."that's" how much will spill out when the power goes out, or that's how much bigger your sump needs to be..

squidd

Originally posted by NITRAM
...,I have a leak in side the tubbing. When you fill the box on the back of the tank it will drain down to the sump area around the bottom of the drain tubbs ...

Are you saying it leaks "inside" the drain line (past the standpipe, but inside the drain line...??)
Add a couple wraps of teflon tape to the male end of the standpipe where it threads into the bulkhead...
If it leaks "outside" the drain line...see post above...

nitram

Yes it leaks inside the tubing that goes down, I'll get me some tape and get that fixed. I didnt know if I could use it or not. Thanks

squidd

Nitram....Double check installation on bulkhead..
Should be like this...with rubber washer "inside" chamber ...

nitram

Ihave the washer on the outside of the tank. so that must be my problem.I went to the store and bought me some tephlon tape but have not used it yet.

tony detroit

Washers must be on the same side as the water. The teflon tape won't help in this situation, but does help in standard plumbing connections.

nitram

I can see how that the washer would work better on the inside.I bought my overflow box from that accution website that everyone goes to and the instructions with it said to put it on the out side. it is a good box though it has a double hose connection with preefilters. By the way squidd thats some nice pics you mad there.