Overflow Rate

robchuck

The only place you would need a ball valve or gate valve is on the return line. The overflow doesn't need to match your return pump exactly, it just needs to handle more flow than the return pump can throw at it.
A drilled overflow can handle as little as .0000001 gph and a U-tube or siphon overflow can handle a few hundred gph less than its rating, provided that airbubbles don't build up in the part that goes over the top of the tank.

jbone

No I definatly do not enjoy wet carpet. Could you possibly elaborate on that a little? How Can I slow the flow. I have a u tube overflow rated at 600gpg. I think i will need to slow this a little to match my pump. Any Recomendations?

jbone

[ The overflow doesn't need to match your return pump exactly, it just needs to handle more flow than the return pump can throw at it.
If they don't match won't the tank or the sump eventualy flood, depending on which direction has greater flow? Right now I think my overflow will be flowing more water than my pump can pump.

pyro

Well, the idea behind an overflow is this:
It only moves to the sump what the pump inside the sump pumps in.
So, if your overflow is rated up to 600gph, than your pump must be less than 600gph. What size pump do you have on it? You should be fine without the regulator.

jbone

I have a mag 7, I think i'll get around 400gph, Only has to go up about 3.5-4.0 ft. So as long as the overflow is rated higher i'll be fine?

bang guy

Yep.
Overflows are the "Spill Point". It will only spill over the water pumped into the tank. No more, no less.

montidanae

not to hi-jack but.
i have an above fuge, and i get bubbles in my tank, alot of small ones(urg) if where to make a PVC tube of PVC to use as the drain tube (its plastic now) and i added a ball valve and regulated the flow going out, would that control the bubbles? i the water in the CPR overflow is above my hamemade durso pipe, so there is NO WAY ait can get in, yet air does, the air ends up in the tank, and i can always see a big air bubble in the drain tube.
get what i mean? will it work?