Overwhelmed already!!!!

flower

I have so many grandchildren, dead fish will upset you more than the kids. With a proper clean up crew...you will not ever see a dead fish. I do a head count every morning when I feed the fish. I had three large fish die on me during the 4 day black out we had last month, I had to remove my rock to get to the bodies. (That was an unusual situation). Most times I know when I lost a fish when one goes MIA at feeding time. I check for ammonia spikes and none happens, but the fish is just gone.
Serpent and brittle stars, bristle worms and hermits make quick meals of dead fish deep in the rocks. I don't go looking for a body unless it's a big fish that the CUC couldn't clean up in a single night or if I were to see the fish stressed and find an ammonia spike, that has never happened. I lose a fish, it's just gone and no ammonia spike..nothing.
The really cool thing about saltwater tanks is that there plenty of life to watch way before the fish are ever added. I mix my saltwater in a tub, I fill the tank 1/2 way and add the rocks, then the sand is added around the rock. You don't want to build the rock on shifting sand, rock slides will crush fish and could break the tank.
After the rock and sand are set...add the rest of the water and turn on the filters and power heads after the sand has settled. I prefer sand to crushed coral. Do your tests and let the little one watch, the lab test kits that you need with sw tanks are pretty interesting and have colors to look for, let him help you decide..this color...is it closer or this one?. Put them far away from little hands because they are dangerous chemicals, also junior won't try and do tests while you aren't right there to suppervise (I speak from experience) . Then look close at the rocks...stuff grows on them, critters are alive on them...everyday it will be another adventure to find things. Sponges appear over night, tiny fan worms that look like little snowflake cutouts open and close on the rock...weird little things come out after lights out, so get some moonlights.
Have him be your little helper when you clean your filters, feed the fish and pick out what to get next. You will build a lifetime of good memories and it's educational as well. My kids treat going to Nana's house like going to the zoo, they can't wait to see what's in the big tank now and the seahorses in the other...LOL..now I have a sea turd..uh I mean hare, for them to watch.

firekat96

I got the Conscientious aquarist as suggested.
Flower, thanks for all the info and ideas. The tank is still pretty cloudy this morning but alot better than last night, atleast we can see the rocks in it now. I have found out I need a new thermometer, I currently have a stick on and I just can't hardly see the dang reading so that is now on th elong list of to gets.. It should be around 78*-80* is this correct?
They didn't have an all in one test kit all of his was a seperate kit for each test..

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by firekat96 http:///forum/thread/387223/overwhelmed-already/40#post_3406219
I got the Conscientious aquarist as suggested.
Flower, thanks for all the info and ideas. The tank is still pretty cloudy this morning but alot better than last night, atleast we can see the rocks in it now. I have found out I need a new thermometer, I currently have a stick on and I just can't hardly see the dang reading so that is now on th elong list of to gets.. It should be around 78*-80* is this correct?
They didn't have an all in one test kit all of his was a seperate kit for each test..
Hi, I buy my test kits online as I do most of my fish stuff. LFS around me anyway just don't carry what I want.
I use the sticky on the side of the tank type of thermometer. It shows up plenty when the temp is on the spot, it is dim when it's in between the numbers. The temp of your tank is a personal choice, depending on your livestock. My reef tank stays at 80-84 but the seahorse tank at 71-75
Most people keep thier tanks at 78 to hold off algae problems. The colder the temp the slower a problem can grow. Most of the fish are actually happier at 80 to 82 and my Blue hippo tang liked it at a balmy 84. Some corals like it cooler and some warmer.
So it's always best to see where a critter comes from and the normal temp. Critters can adjust but not too big of a swing.
Once you see the rocks you can run your filter...maybe hold off on the power heads for another day.
Oh and I forgot...the book you have is awesome, there is another two you should get, it will save you a ton of money on live stock...I'm posting a picture and a page from each so you can see the info they carry ...

firekat96

He had those as well I even picked up the fish one and put it back. ooops I cut my filter on when I put the water in the tank. It hasn't changed much today than what it looked like this morning so should I change my filter out??

firekat96

Well the tank is finally starting to clear up pretty good, I can see all the way through it now. The salt levels are high though and I bought the water premixed from the lfs, is this normal or what can I do to reduce it. 1.038..

jerth6932

Quote:
Originally Posted by firekat96 http:///forum/thread/387223/overwhelmed-already/40#post_3406657
Well the tank is finally starting to clear up pretty good, I can see all the way through it now. The salt levels are high though and I bought the water premixed from the lfs, is this normal or what can I do to reduce it. 1.038..
That isn't normal, Remove SW and replace with RO till you reach your desired SG.
Future reference, make sure you ALWAYS check SG before adding to your tank, if your tank would of been established, it would of done damage!

firekat96

Hydrometer. I just assumed that it came from a saltwater fish store that it would have been right. I have not found the RO in any stores around me thats why I went ahead and got it from them. Will the RO home filter kits from Lowe's work or does it have to be for aquariums only.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
What kind of hydrometer are you using?
If it looks like this, then these are frequently very inaccurate.

If it looks like this, then ok.

Before you actually get fish, you may want to seriously get a refractometer, which give you the most accurate reading for salinity/specific gravity

firekat96

I tested it with the top one, I also have one like the middle one too that I use when making homemade wine, I guess I could test it with that one and see what I get with it. Thanks

beth

Administrator
Staff member
You need to use a hydrometer that is made for the hobby, not for wine making, but yeah, if you have the glass hydrometer (middle) then use that. The off salinity reading you are getting may well be a bad reading from the swing arm hydrometer. I would not trust a reading from those types of hydrometers.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by firekat96 http:///forum/thread/387223/overwhelmed-already/40#post_3406975
I will test it in the morning and let you know what the differance is. Thanks
I used the Red sea hydrometer for years and when I replaced it with a refractometer it was dead on correct...however I could never get the deep six one like the one you have to work right....instructions say put it in the tank for some time to "season" it...still it didn't work right.

cubnb79

i use the instant ocean one and both lfs uses something diffrent and its pretty much spot on so guess just depends on diffrent situations...now im not saying its the best thing to use lol but seems to work in my situation

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siptang http:///forum/thread/387223/overwhelmed-already/40#post_3407255
I have the same red sea one flower lol.
LOL...I wore mine out, the saltwater had made the plastic so cloudy, I used it for all these years, I just got the refractometer the beginning of this year. However I never did hypo. All I ever worried about was making sure the new mixing tub had the same SG as the tank. I feel more secure with the refractometer, knowing it's more accurate but my little red sea hydrometer did it's job.
I have a funny story about it...could give beginning folks nightmares...
When I first got into the hobby, I went to a big SW store in Janeville Wisconsin, I got the red sea hydrometer along with everything else to set up my new SW tank. After I had my tank all set up and ready to add my sand and rock... my SG was so high, so I added RO water until it read 1.024. Playing with my new lab kit...it said my PH was super low...so I took a water sample in to the fish store by my house for them to double check. It was super low, almost freshwater. The owner asked me what my SG was, I told him according to my hydrometer it was 1.024...he poured the test water into his hydrometer and it read just almost with some salt in it.
He asked me to bring my hydrometer to him. I went home and came back. According to his hydrometer his tanks were 1.026...but according to mine his tanks were off the chart high, my needle went all the way up and stayed there. He told me to take it back to the store and return it as faulty.
Well off to the big store in Janesville I went....they didn't believe me, I showed them the receipt that it did come from their store. The manager got so pissy...she told the guy to try it...yep reading way high. She agreed to replace it..but...she told the guy to test it before I left. He opened the plastic blister and removed the new hydrometer and ...it read off the chart..he opened another..that also was reading off the chart high...he opened and tested 10..That's right 10 brand new red sea hydrometers were incorrect. They had gotten a full shipment of faulty hydrometers. In the very back was the last one that prompted them to reorder...that one read correctly and it was the one I kept for so many years.
I told the manager they needed to check their computer and see who they sold other red sea hydrometers to, because if they trusted the hydrometer as correct they could kill their SW tank.
I doubt they did, but I often wonder if such stories is what gave the hydrometers such bad reputations for being inaccurate. I never heard of a refractometer until I found this site in 2009, I have never seen one for sale in any fish store, nor was a refractometer ever mentioned in any SW aquarium book I ever read...I found one online, and only after I knew what to look for.

firekat96

Checked mine today with the glass one and it read 1.026 checked it with the instant ocean one at the same time it read 1.038...