P Mint Shrimps...how "big" is "safe"?

jemshores

I have 2 peppermints in my Nano 24 that are now about 2" in length/size. Has anyone else experienced a growth spurt such as this and are they still safe in the tank w/ 2 clowns, yellow wman, and a firefish, plus lots of corals and CUC? They have not been a problem at all, but the size is starting to worry me a bit.

spanko

Mine killed every one of the feather dusters in my tank. I had a beautiful Porites sp. rock with at least a dozen Christmas tree worms, reds, blues etc. All gone. I will not own another. (Well unless of course I get some aiptasia breakout.)

meowzer

I have 3 peppermints in my 54G...each one is a minimum of 2", probably closer to 3"...I have one nice feather duster that they don't go near (KNOCKING ON WOOD)
OHHHHH...I have no aptasia either....LOL
I have 2 clowns, a sixline, 2 yellow clown gobies, longfin sleeper goby, and a firefish....they all seem very happy together

fretfreak13

A have a one incher and he's never gone after anything except appies and my hand, thank god. Hasn't touched my dusters either. I'm sure you're fine.

jemshores

Thanx Spanko and Meowzer! Definetely right on the aiptasia (none)...maybe thats why they grew! I fish sometimes in FL and they are slowly reaching hook size! I guess "size" doesn't matter, in shrimpys, that is

meowzer

Originally Posted by jemshores
http:///forum/post/3173367
Thanx Spanko and Meowzer! Definetely right on the aiptasia (none)...maybe thats why they grew! I fish sometimes in FL and they are slowly reaching hook size! I guess "size" doesn't matter, in shrimpys, that is

LOL..JOEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!
SIze ALWAYS matters

wow guys.. wow... hah. Anyhow My peppermint shrimp is only 1.5" right now. I have 3 large aiptasia in my tank (thank god they haven't multiplied like the plague proportions I've heard of). one of which is almost 3" across. the other two about an inch. My peppermint attacks them occasionally (have seen him do it twice). But he houses with my watchman goby which coincidentily is right next to a 1" featherduster so that occasionally all three line up nice and pretty lol. He has never touched it either. Sounds like someone had a mean peppy lol.

meowzer

Originally Posted by racingtiger03
http:///forum/post/3173655
wow guys.. wow... hah. Anyhow My peppermint shrimp is only 1.5" right now. I have 3 large aiptasia in my tank (thank god they haven't multiplied like the plague proportions I've heard of). one of which is almost 3" across. the other two about an inch. My peppermint attacks them occasionally (have seen him do it twice). But he houses with my watchman goby which coincidentily is right next to a 1" featherduster so that occasionally all three line up nice and pretty lol. He has never touched it either. Sounds like someone had a mean peppy lol.
A lot of times a peppermint will not eat the Large Aptasias....You may want to inject them with Joe's Juice and kill it yourself...

yeah, I had heard that. Tried killing them off with bioling water.. that didn't work out too well. One of them is rooted inside a clam... no idea how I'm going to handle that one =/ (it's the largest). I thought of trying to yank it out and let the peppermint handle the little spawns it leaves behind. I just don't want to stress/kill the clam. (just a filter clam nothing magnificent but I like it!)