PC Q... Bang Guy??

debbers

Ok, I've been reading up on the posts re: actinic vs. "blue" bulbs.
I've got a 65 watt pc 7100 bulb now... but a local dealer has the actinic 03 bulbs in stock. In simple terms, would this be a better bulb, and why?
And does this even make a difference with pc bulbs vs. vho??
Thanks,
~D~

debbers

I believe that's what I heard as well... but there was also a lot of talk about the actinics being "true" in a vho bulb, and not in a pc bulb.
So I guess my question that remains is this: would it be worth my while to upgrade to the pc actinic 03 bulb from my current pc 7100 k bulb?
~D~
:confused:

debbers

Do you know anything about JBJ lights? I haven't seen any Custom Sea Life bulbs around here.
~D~
P.S. DVS, how's your goby doing??

demosthenes

Seems Bang is absent. Well, from what I've always been told, the difference lies in the Nanometer level that each peaks at. An 03 Peaks at 420 NM, making it to be a more "True" Actinic, while the 7100K peaks at closer to 360 NM.

debbers

Hmmm...
So then I guess the next question would be: how much would the corals benefit from trading out the bulb for a 65 watt 03?

bang guy

Originally posted by Debbers
how much would the corals benefit from trading out the bulb for a 65 watt 03?

I agree the corals would benefit a lot but I (respectfully) disagree with the reason listed.
The 7100K Blue bulb is a just daylight bulb with a filter that removes all light except blue. The filter stops a LOT of light.... most of it in fact.
The Actinic 03 bulb you are referring to uses phosphors to produce light peaking at the 430nm range. For URI VHO this peak is near the 420 nm range, just a slight difference.
So, I would say your corals would benefit more from the 03 just because they would be receiving a lot more light.

debbers

By the way, on the JBJ site it said that their actinic bulbs peak at 420 nm. Just thought you'd like to know.
Thanks, everyone, for your help!
~D~

bang guy

Originally posted by Kipass4130
i thought thats what i said... maybe i am just not well written

or I'm just not well read ;) LOL