PC vs VHO

gradus33

I finally made up my mind not to go with MH for right now, so it has to be eighter PC or VHO. Now can anyone tell me wich one is more cost effective? I'm not asking wich one is brighter, I'm more concern about the heat and elctric bill. Any suggestions?:confused:

I dont think that there is going to be much of a difference if any between heat and electric consumption . . . BUT in the long run VHO will save you money because bulbs are cheaper and less fragile. Plus they have better coloration IMO. Go with VHO.

bang guy

It will cost you a bit extra, but if you initially go with the IceCap ballast you'll save on a lot of heat and a lot of electricity regardless which bulb you choose. You would also be able to switch back & forth with bulbs types or even mix & match.
IMO IceCap ballasts pay for themselves completely in just a few years with the reduced power consumption and extended bulb life.
Bang
ps. I'm a really big fan of URI VHO.

krypton74

I notice you have a humongous reef tank! do you use the VHO for it? I am in the process of purchasing new lighting for a new tank and was going back and forth between all types of lighting. i want to keep inverts and some select corals and want to do right in the beginning. what do you think?

bang guy

Can you describe your select corals better? If you're ever going to have SPS, Clams or Anemone then MH will be your best value.
The Lagoon is lit mostly by VHO but there are very few light demanding animals in there.