PEACOCK MANTIS hitchiker in my REEF!!!

roushracer

Damn, I would gladly take one of these guys!
I've had an acrylic tank set up for onefor a few months now, but my lfs's can't seem to ever get one in...

ukcats

Originally Posted by yupi1982
dude
he is gonna be tosted when i catch him....and i mean it!!!

Again, please don't kill him. I want one of these!!! I understand your angry..but this type of behavior is their nature. I will take him. Please email me!
cparsons48@insightbb.com
Thanks.

engineer

Yeah your video was nice. By the looks of the pic it is a Peacock mantis. They all pretty much strike in the same manner. Think of a preying mantis, this is them in the saltwater world.

yupi1982

Originally Posted by engineer
Yeah your video was nice. By the looks of the pic it is a Peacock mantis. They all pretty much strike in the same manner. Think of a preying mantis, this is them in the saltwater world.

you are totally right...this is a betiful new world!!!

yupi1982

i snipped him and i know where he lives..i mean the exact rock where he stays...
i just finish placing the trap...
i hope i can get it tonight :jumping: ***)
i´ll post pics..if anything happwens
i have my 10g ready for him!!! i hope he doesnt crack my tank!!!

yupi1982

Originally Posted by FishyGurl
tell us if you catch him or not, post pics of him. Mainly just keep us updated!

GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
:mad: :mad:
no .....i didnt catch him
HE IS CLEVER ...OHHH HE IS VERY CLEVER!!!
i was doing dome research on him..and i found out :mad: that they not only see one type of light but 7 different types of spectrum of lights...
this guy came from the special forces :scared:
:notsure:
the trap stuff didnt work,,....i went to my LFS and they gave me a great idea..
they say to put a sock with some chunky pieces of shrimp insede...
i was told he is going to get stock insede the texture of the sock because the mantis had a lot of litle hairs in his skin shell ......i hope this work tonight...
got my coffee ready
***)

tank watch

I have a pet peacock mantis in an acrylic 6 gallon. He is definately a smasher. they will eat fish, snails, crabs, almost anything. Catch it, set up seperate tank. fascinating creatures. This is thumper in the photo.

rmahnick

Maybe Mantis is from S.E.A.L.s, its a beyond of special warfare. go and buy night goggle to stay and dark to catch the Mantis and cook him.....

yupi1982

this is TIM ...a huge star from another FORUM if you know what i mean!!!
just wanted to share how beatiful this creatures are....
and i have one myself./...AWESOME!!

some INOF i found ..there iare TWO kinds of PEACOCK MANTIS SHRIMPS
the smasher and the slasher nad they see 7 different types of Spectrum lighs!!! :jumping:
Anyways ...here is TIM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7xISAaR9ew

fishy7

Mine is very clever. I can hear him but can not see him. I cut off the foot of the pantyhose and attached it to a rock with a pice of fishing line. I go fishing every other night do not want to polute my tank to much. I am thinking there is to much other food in the tank and he is not desperate enough to go for it.

The light is a big deal. Need to get nightvision goggles. Anyone know where to get them without paying to much $$$$$?

I will give him to who ever wants him. I will not kill him although he deserves it! :mad:

yupi1982

Originally Posted by FISHY7
Mine is very clever. I can hear him but can not see him. I cut off the foot of the pantyhose and attached it to a rock with a pice of fishing line. I go fishing every other night do not want to polute my tank to much. I am thinking there is to much other food in the tank and he is not desperate enough to go for it.

The light is a big deal. Need to get nightvision goggles. Anyone know where to get them without paying to much $$$$$?

I will give him to who ever wants him. I will not kill him although he deserves it! :mad:

it is amazing how this creatures...are so clever..
since the past days i have noticed the exact behavior of this creature and ...i can tell you he is smarter than a common srimp !!
they look like kkrroches not pretty at all but ...a nice specimen from a diferent perspective!!

xdave

BE VERY CAREFUL !!! They are capable of sending you to the emergency room. They can go from a standing start to the speed of a 22 caliber bullet in only 6"!!! In the wild the sometimes swim THROUGH the head of lage fish. They can easily do the same to your hand. somebody at work thought one had been sold and took his name off the tank. I reached in with a collection cup to get a nubibranch and the next thing I know the cup shattered and I had a sprained wrist. :scared: Lucky for me he hit the cup. I did get a bunch of fiberglass kinda stuff in my hand that hurt like heck, he must have ricocheted and grazed me. All I saw was a blur and cloud of sand.

yupi1982

Originally Posted by xDave
BE VERY CAREFUL !!!
They are capable of sending you to the emergency room. They can go from a standing start to the speed of a 22 caliber bullet in only 6"!!! In the wild the sometimes swim THROUGH the head of lage fish. They can easily do the same to your hand. somebody at work thought one had been sold and took his name off the tank. I reached in with a collection cup to get a nubibranch and the next thing I know the cup shattered and I had a sprained wrist. :scared: Lucky for me he hit the cup. I did get a bunch of fiberglass kinda stuff in my hand that hurt like heck, he must have ricocheted and grazed me. All I saw was a blur and cloud of sand.

holy sh.........t no kidding XDAVE !!!
i hope he doesnt crack my 10 G tank...
and yeah i have seen this fellows in action ./..you can hear the strike but you can not see it !!!
they are pretty fast !!!

xdave

I'm sure they could break a 10, but for some reason they seem to be able to see glass. I've never actually seen one turn but the trail of dust looks like they did. Yeah, they are F-A-S-T. Did you see in the video that one part where he moves so fast that it looks like the camera skipped some frames. I thing they're so cool, just keep 'em the heck away from me.

fishygurl

I think they are sooo cool creatures i would want one if it wouldn't be able to injure me or the glass of the aqaurium.