PEACOCK MANTIS hitchiker in my REEF!!!

yupi1982

Originally Posted by lukeb321
There is a green mantis for sale on that famous auction site. Just type in "live mantis shrimp".
I just saw it!!!
LOOKS BEATIFUL and only 20 bucks....amazing price!!!

yupi1982

Originally Posted by xDave
They sure are fun to watch.

yeahh they are very fun to watch ...i snipped the exact whole where he is....but seems to be imposible to get him out.........seems to me that the only way to get it out is to take out that rock....but IS NOT GONNA HAPPEN ...is the biggest rock and the base of the whole reef...if i do that i have to remove all the f.... tank
some good info i found about this specail forces fellows !!!
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/20...ture/index.php

xdave

Thats a great article. Reading about all the different spines and barbs on them made my hand itch. I think I'm having post mantis attack stress disorder :scared: :hilarious

yupi1982

Thats a great article. Reading about all the different spines and barbs on them made my hand itch. I think I'm having post mantis attack stress disorder :scared: :hilarious

hahahaha ...

bad news ..yesterday when i woke up at 3 in the mourning to see if the trap worked out ..i catch a glipse of another Big Bristle worm inside my tank........I been wothout new rock for like 6 months....how the hell those fellows got in there? :scared:
Anyways...the bristtle is an easy catch but the mantis.....nonono he is to clever my friend..to smart!!! :thinking:

fishy7

I have made some headway........ broke out the stethoscope to see where his home is located. They work great and you can here all sorts of other activity in the tank. I have a pretty good idea where he is located and set traps but still have not caught him. :thinking:
Nighvision goggles are next.

Waiting game

yupi1982

Originally Posted by FISHY7
I have made some headway........ broke out the stethoscope to see where his home is located. They work great and you can here all sorts of other activity in the tank. I have a pretty good idea where he is located and set traps but still have not caught him. :thinking:
Nighvision goggles are next.

Waiting game

dude ...if you get the nightvision googles ....lend them to me wqhen you finish him off!!!

fishygurl

Can anyone tell me what type of coral is in the video that Engineer gave us to see "the Mantis in action"
Go to the 1 Minute 35 second mark.(it's pink its almost like a Pulsing Xenia but it's not)
Can anyone tell me what it is I NEED TO KNOW!!! I WANT IT SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BAD!!!

sign guy

Originally Posted by FishyGurl
Can anyone tell me what type of coral is in the video that Engineer gave us to see "the Mantis in action"
Go to the 1 Minute 35 second mark.(it's pink its almost like a Pulsing Xenia but it's not)
Can anyone tell me what it is I NEED TO KNOW!!! I WANT IT SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BAD!!!
I saw that to, it look cool as hell

yupi1982

Originally Posted by FishyGurl

answer to the questions!!!
POM POM XENIA ....beautiful and very expensive..more than the normal type of xenia!!

bobwire

Forgive me but I'm a Newbie, but have you considered putting the remainder of your snail and hermits in the 10g? This way you take away his food supply and make the shrimp in his trap more appetizing.

sign guy

Originally Posted by BobWire
Forgive me but I'm a Newbie, but have you considered putting the remainder of your snail and hermits in the 10g? This way you take away his food supply and make the shrimp in his trap more appetizing.
GOOD IDIEA allthough these guys can go 3 weeks without food, and who knows how many crabs they have

fishy7

Have you tried the killer for hire ads in the back of Invert Mercenary Magazine?
Not sure I know what you are talking about
I assume you are asking me to look into hiring someone to come and remove my mantis? :thinking:

fishy7

Originally Posted by BobWire
No that is ok, this is good suggestion but there are not many hermits left maybe 10-15. Started with 300 he killed about 200 and I gave about 75 to a friend. I do not want to remove all the food at once. I want to do it slowly so he becomes a little more desperate each feeding time. This way when I set traps he will eventually be caught.
If I did not have any fish in the system no problem just do not want him to get any of my fish.
Keep the ideas coming!!!!!!!

yupi1982

Originally Posted by FISHY7
No that is ok, this is good suggestion but there are not many hermits left maybe 10-15. Started with 300 he killed about 200 and I gave about 75 to a friend. I do not want to remove all the food at once. I want to do it slowly so he becomes a little more desperate each feeding time. This way when I set traps he will eventually be caught.
If I did not have any fish in the system no problem just do not want him to get any of my fish.
Keep the ideas coming!!!!!!!

are u hijacking my thread.....hahaha just kidding

same thing happend to me there are not to many hermit crabs left...

stanlalee

geez you guys make mantis seem like the baddest thing in the ocean. there are several aggressive fish that will bite these things in half if given the chance. Puffers, Triggers, many large wrasse. Of course they can kick a hermit, snail or chromis butt, what cant. Dare I say most of your fish arent in danger unless you have small fish. I would be pissed about the cleaner shrimps (it could eat all the peppermint, snails and crabs it wanted).
Pain to get out huh, this is exactly why I pick up, spray off and inspect EACH rock one by one before putting it in the tank. (but now that you guys got me worried about getting clubbed or speared I will purchase some large tonques for this exercise in the future).