Penguin 350 Biowheel for 29gal?

jds61403

Is a Marineland Penguin 350 sufficient filtration for a 29gal reef tank? It is cycling at the moment and I want to make it into a reef tank. Does this sound okay? :notsure: Any suggestions are welcome. Sorry I'm a newb!

T

tampausmc

i have a penguin 200 bio wheel on my 28 gallon that works great........

T

tampausmc

Only carbon i use is in the normal filter pads for it and i've never had a problem....and yes it is my only filtration. I've been thinking about buying a skimmer but i can't bring myself to do it since my tank is so small and i want something larger.......
28 gal
2 true percs
1 fire goby
1 condi anemone
1 brittle star
8 hermits
4 turbos
4 nassarius
1 cleaner shrimp
1 blood shrimp
1 peppermint shrimp
130 watt coralife PC lighting
hairy mushrooms
assorted zoos
assorted xenias

jds61403

How do you like the 130 watts PC. I was just about to order the exact same thing. The anemone and corals do fine?

T

tampausmc

the light is good for the zoos, xenia, and shrooms......i probably won't try anything beyond those....and people won't recommend anything other then a bubble tip anemone under this lighting......I hand feed my condi and actually had him for a few weeks under 15 watt lighting before i learned how to do things.....he stays a good distance from the PC lighting....
You might want to check out the poll for lighting in the new hobbyist section.....they're making me feel like i should've gone with the T-5 fixture....but i have no complaints with PC lighting and my corals i do have are doing great....get the LEDs if you get it....everything glows in the dark...

milomlo

I use that exact filter on my 29 gallon. It is great. I also use the filter pads and I use renew in a velcro media bag. It works great for me. I have a cpr bak pak skimmer and I have 130 watts of PC lighting.
I have 2 BTA's in my tank under my lighting. Thomas himself said 130 watt PC in a 29 gallon should be fine.
Everything is awesome! I am actually working on upgrading to a 100 gallon