we did not put out very many
eyes, nor did the worms
live inside us forever.
We rode bikes or walked to
a friend's home and knocked
on the door, or rang the
bell or just walked in and
talked to them.
Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team.
Those who didn't had to
learn to deal with disappointment.
Some students weren't as
smart as others, so they
failed a grade and were
held back to repeat the
same grade.
Horrors!
Tests were not adjusted
for any reason.
Our actions were our own.
Consequences were expected.
The idea of a parent bailing
us out if we broke a law
was unheard of.
They actually sided
with the law.
Imagine that!
This generation has produced
some of the best risk-takers
and problem solvers and
inventors, ever.
The past 50 years have
been an explosion of
innovation and new
ideas.
We had freedom, failure,
success and responsibility,
and we learned how to deal
with it all.

fishman9

i'm 23 and i have to agree with you totally, my generation is full of miss nacy's and lazy a@@ people. I say hail to the over 30 crowd you made it and your still here.................:D

lovethesea

AMEN!! Every bit is true. Especially all of crap thats out there to occupy them. They are allowed to be holed up in their rooms with computers, phones, tv's and PS2's. Let them go out and play.....REALLY play!!
Plus I even think sometimes the parents are just as bad, they have all of these things too and loose touch with their kids. :nope:

salty cheese

Amen to that.
You forgot about the playgrounds. The jungle-jims, slides, merry-go-rounds and what not that were all placed on asphalt or concrete, and the rusty bolts that stuck out of everyone of them. Also, the only thing I can remember back when I was young having a warning label on it was the packs of fire crackers I would buy at the grocery store before the 4th, now days everything has a warning label of some kind, c’mon bottles of soda need a warning label!
I’m convinced if we put some kids from today in a time machine and took them back to the 70’s they would all Darwinize them selves by the age of 8.

polarpooch

Right on! What about Jarts?! How did we survive Jarts? And Slip-n-Slides and pogo sticks...eeeek...no helmets, either!
Remarkable, isn't it?

belothsurf

I remember riding my "Bigwheel" 90 to nothing down our hill, I never even considered putting on the brakes, and we used to have "Bottle Rocket" fights.........now that I think about it...how in the world "did" I survive.......:notsure: But, I did get an Atari system when I was 10 or 11. The football game was basically 3 little squares against 3 little squares, and you just tried to dodge each other. And then there was 'Missle Command", now that game had some "great" graphics....:thinking: .........:D

tervman

Originally posted by polarpooch
Right on! What about Jarts?! How did we survive Jarts?

Oh Lordy....Jarts! My most vivid recollection of Jarts was staring down at my foot, looking at the Jart that was sticking up out of the top of my shoe, as it swayed back and forth like Grandma's front porch rocking chair. Talk about hurting!!!! :scared:

T

thomas712

Oh yeah we are the generation that used to roll down the windows of a car, we grew up having to walk across the room to change one of the 12 channels on the tv, we remember our fathers changing the blade of his razor you know the single edge one on each side! We made tennis ball cannons out of beer or pop cans and liquid gold cans for a base. We had modle rockets and cox airplanes and modle ships, tanks, planes and cars that we used to paint with tester paints that I remember cost 15 cents to a quarter each (where are those things now?) You could run across almost all the back yards because there were no fences to shut your neighbors out! There were fields that most of us were able to play baseball in. We played in the skeletons of new homes that took months to build. We actually played cowboys and indians, or Army guys with our dads WWII or Korian gear. What kids do that anymore?
Remember the Atomic drills we did in school? Duck and Cover. (Like we would have survived)
Remember what a treat it was to watch Disney on a Sunday night with the family?
Saterday morning cartoons? (Now its 24 hour auto parenting TV)
You want scary, many of us grew up in the Veitnam era while this country was going through growing pains, so in fact though the list in the original post says many of us should be dead for simple reasons, I remind many of you that many of us are dead for going off to a thankless war, may you NEVER have to go through periods like the 60's and 70's like we did.
MIA-POW You are not forgotten
Thomas

fshhub

Originally posted by CindySki
We did not have Playstations,
Nintendo 64, X-Boxes, no
video games at all, no 99
channels on cable, video
tape movies, surround
sound, personal cell phones,
personal computers, or Internet
chat rooms.
We had friends!

we did have ataris and friends who wanted to come over and play them
we also had vcrs (though neither was our won but the family's)
to add, we did:
also drink beer
we also, played those made up games in the middle of the street and avoided getting hit
we used to peel asbestos insulation from the pipes
played wiht lighters and matches
remember spin the bottle? none of us got fatal disease from that game either
as for our parents bailing us out of jail. I dont know about you, but i would be deathly affraid to have my dad come get me, the fines and punishment from the courts were nothing in my eyes. the preferred punishment would have been to stay in jail
how much saccarin do you think we ate over the years?
a little off topic, because you cant die from it but.....
how many of us 30 to 80 year old males should be blind? You guys in this age group should know what i am talking about.
worried about shooting your or someone elses eye out iwht a pellet gun? H3|| WE USED TO SHOOT AT EACH OTHER WITH THEM AND THAT RARELY HAPPENED. even to the vicitms! Stung like a monkey's fart but we didn't get hurt, not the majority of us anyway.
one thing we did loose or at least did not favor us, was dental care. it was good, but when we got mouthy many of us lost teeth from it.
and not to mention that most of us should be dead from simple disciplianry action. the things kids get away with today would have cost me limbs, if not my life after dad found out....And, they could do it LEGALLY. Nothing wrong, and my parents did not beat me. but the fear i had that they would/could was enough for me AND I am confident that had i shot someone or beat my sister up that I would have been taght the other half of the birds and bees(dad and HIS stinger). Today, it is an invitation for kids to get into trouble and be mouthy.

belothsurf

Originally posted by fshhub
a little off topic, because you cant die from it but.....
how many of us 30 to 80 year old males should be blind? You guys in this age group should know what i am talking about.

Blind? Noooopppee, not me. I see like a hawk. Nope.....20/20 vision....... I don't know "what" you are talking about.......as a matter of fact, my favorite song from that time..."I can see for miles and miles, I can see for miles and miles.......Yeesssiiirrreee....I don't have contacts or glasses. So what exactly are you talking about??????:notsure:
Ouuuuucchhh!!!!.....I just stuck my cigarette in my eye.........:nervous: .....maybe it is true.....:thinking: .......:jumping:

lovethesea

I remember rolling down windows vividly as do I remember changing the channel. Then moving the rabbit ears with foil on top to get better pictures. OHHHH and usually about midmight most channels went OFF the air. Who's car had air conditioning? It was a luxury. Disney on Sundays ROCKED! Tell me what kid shows are on any major network. (not cable). NONE!! :rolleyes: What about transistor radios? Record Albums? Typewriters? My child didn't even know what a typewriter was when I had to borrow a friend of mines. She was amazed that she could actually SEE what I was typing without a printer. (magic...) Who chased the mosquito spray truck? Who remembers rotary dial phones???? Who remembers busy signals? :D

belothsurf

Originally posted by lovethesea
I remember rolling down windows vividly as do I remember changing the channel. Then moving the rabbit ears with foil on top to get better pictures. OHHHH and usually about midmight most channels went OFF the air. Who's car had air conditioning? It was a luxury. Disney on Sundays ROCKED! Tell me what kid shows are on any major network. (not cable). NONE!! :rolleyes: What about transistor radios? Record Albums? Typewriters? My child didn't even know what a typewriter was when I had to borrow a friend of mines. She was amazed that she could actually SEE what I was typing without a printer. (magic...) Who chased the mosquito spray truck? Who remembers rotary dial phones???? Who remembers busy signals? :D

Where do I start. I definitely remember rolling down the windows. I also remember having the little pull knobs that allowed air flow into the car......you could push them in and out?
To change the channel on the TV, you turned the dial, and UHF channels (CBS) were in the little "window" of the dial, then you adjusted the outer ring of the channel knob to tune it in.....remember that?
Fm channells were not listened to that much, it was all AM. If your car came with a radio at all. I can still remember the 1972 Chevy Malibu my mom had, no radio, no ac, but it had "Poooowwweeerrrr Sttteeeeerrrrriiiinnnngggg"........"oooooooo"..."ahhhhhhhhh"...
I used to wear my fingers out on those dang rotary phones calling my friends.....I still find it hard to believe we made it to the moon before we could invent the touch tone phone!!!
I don't remember mosquito trucks, those are actually kinda new around here..........:D I do remember the "Popsicle Truck" though. I remember, once again, I was on my "Big Wheel" and my dumb aa....butt, was keeping my change in my mouth. All I can really remember is riding the "Big Wheel" out of my friends garage...( I was prolly about 6 or 7).....and seeing the "Popsicle Truck". As I was about to yell out "POOOOPPSSSICCCLLLEE TRUUUUCK"!!!!......"gulp".......I immediately went home...thought I was going to die......I went to bed at 5pm....I remember my Mom thinking I was sick...I wouldn't tell her what I did....of course I turned out ok........I saw my change the next day....... :eek: .......................:D

belothsurf

one correction....it was a 75 or 76 Malibu.......my sister had a 72 Nova......with a "Hatchback"........iiiimmmpppprrreeessssiiiiiive......:jumping:

squidd

Originally posted by Thomas712
... We made tennis ball cannons out of beer or pop cans and liquid gold cans for a base. ...

Till they switched to those Damn aluminum cans and they'd Blow Up in your face...
And what about those "pull tab" pop top cans...Slice your tongue off, if you stuck it in the hole...
Does any one slide down the stairs on a mattress anymore...?

tervman

Originally posted by fshhub
we did have ataris and friends who wanted to come over and play them we also had vcrs (though neither was our won but the family's)

You are obviously much younger than me. I had three TV stations on a black-and-white TV, and the country music radio station my parents listened to. On Saturday afternoon, it was movies (westerns or Tarzan) at the downtown movie theater.
And then, there was our imagination. And the playground. And the tree in the backyard. And the swingset.
What a great time to be a kid....

S

surfjnkie9

A good comedian who talks about these topics is Sam Griesbaum. I saw him on a cruise last year and he talked about how kids were different a few decades ago. He talks about rock fights, bottle rockets, all sorts of stuff like that. Even though I'm only 21 I still thought he was incredibly funny.

fishtanker

its kinda of funny..you guys sound like my grandparents when i was growing up. " i remember walking to school up hill both ways" "bread was a nickle" "what happened to those days?"
i guess its true when parents say to their children "you'll sound like me some day"