Peppermint Shrimp breeding?

cipher43

Ok my peppermint shrimp look like they are pregnant. Does anyone know how long they take to lay the eggs or what ever they do?

meowzer

They will have lots of eggs attached to them, and one night they will hatch live babies....LOADS OF THEM
they will become food for the other fish in the tank

meowzer

I think you would have to set up a breeding tank....they are so teeny that they will be sucked into any type of filter

S

saxman

Pep nauplii are tiny and pelagic so they become part of the zooplankton in the ocean. They can be raised, but it's not simple and requires a special setup. There's a book out there called Raising and Training Peppermint Shrimp (or something close to that). I've seen it someplace in Renee's books, but I'm pretty sure it covers the process.

monsinour

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxman http:///forum/thread/385388/peppermint-shrimp-breading#post_3380032
Pep nauplii are tiny and pelagic so they become part of the zooplankton in the ocean. They can be raised, but it's not simple and requires a special setup. There's a book out there called Raising and Training Peppermint Shrimp (or something close to that). I've seen it someplace in Renee's books, but I'm pretty sure it covers the process.
what do you feed the babies? BBS would seem to be to ... wierd.

S

saxman

I've never had the inclination to try and raise them...if we end up with nauplii, it's just bonus food for the tank. I suspect that rotifers and live phyto would be good first foods for them.

meowzer

HEY GREG,.............Not to hijack, BUT do you know where I could find a good picture of an emerald crab baby? I think my emeralds in the horse tank have spawnd 2x so far...they are NOT shrimp nauplii (??) they are roundish with what looks like a little tail (or something)

S

saxman

I'll have to try and remember to ask Renee if she has come across any pix in her travels, Lois...I know she is in contact with a few noted "critterologists".

bang guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxman http:///forum/thread/385388/peppermint-shrimp-breading#post_3380733
I've never had the inclination to try and raise them...if we end up with nauplii, it's just bonus food for the tank. I suspect that rotifers and live phyto would be good first foods for them.
Dry Cyclop-Eeze seems to work. As it starts to hydrate the shrimp larvae can grab it and chew on one for several minutes. They can also eat flaked fish food but I think that causes more water quality issues that it's worth.
I didn't notice this post at first. I thought someone was looking for a fried shrimp recipe