peppermint shrimp...

wfd1008

so awhile back got some peppermint shrimp to help with an aptasia problem. i admit, they knocked it square in the jaw, and took them out. they are also nice about eating the left over food that the fish don't get to, but that's about as far as it goes.....if damsals are the devil, then i think peppermint shrimp would be his hencnmen. here of late, they've become a bit of a pain. when i go to feed my corals, i have to beat them off of the corals cause they're some thieven punks. added a few snails to the tank, and looked a bit later to see two of them fighting over one snail and the other running behind the rocks with another. so the snails i put in had to take out just because i didn't want them to have a feast at the expense of my wallet. although, they did take care of my aptasia problem
thanks for the venting outlet.

phelpz

I never had any problems like that with the one I have.
I spot feed mine though. Make sure they eat well so they dont go after my feather duster. Never has, but I dont want it to start.

wfd1008

it's like they're bottomless pits, i really believe that in order to keep them filled, i'd crash my tank or be doing water changes on a daily basis. i might have made the mistake in the beginning though and put all three i got into one tank, but they were so small. again-

earlybird

No problem with my peps. I spot feed them while my fish are busy chasing food. My peps also like nori that I put on a mag float and raise it off the sand so my crabs can't get to it first.

lexluethar

I feel your pain. Mine started eating my sun polyps and BTA. I even tried spot feeding it but it wasn't enough. I think it is just the temperment / taste of the shrimp individually, because i've heard most people don't have problems, but you, me, and a few others have had issues...
Take him out IMO.

m0nk

I have 6 in my 180g.... every time I add a new coral they clean off the dead flesh and any possible aiptasia but leave them alone after that. They eat well enough regularly, but I think that keeping the coral "clean" is important. They do clean inverts from time to time, but they won't actually "attack" them or eat them unless the snails are dead (or have some sort of decaying flesh going on).
That said, perhaps you need to feed your tank a little better so they don't go too hungry. Sprinkle in some cyclop-eeze once every couple of days with no direct application so it just floats around and will feed the whole tank; peps included. My coral loves that stuff too, and it helps bring out their color a bit.

wfd1008

well, i feed three time a week. just worried about the whole over feeding pit. i might try the nori thing before i feed the corals to keep them occupied. thanks.

grmreapr

mine def was evil didnt have problems with it for a long time then I saw it actually rip a red leg hermit out of its shell and eat it that was the last straw took him out and gave him to a friend.

alyssia

I removed my pepps quickly. They did NOT touch my aip but they did eat all my feather dusters. I will never buy another one.

peef

I feel the exact same way and had the same problems you are having....my solution was taking them out and feeding them to my turtles.............not the best but it is the circle of life...(cue lion king music)