perfect Salinity for Reef Tank

thetrex

I have heard of people running their salinity as low 1.019 and as high as 1.027. What is the perfect salinity for a reef tank. I keep all my tanks at 1.024 and every thing looks great and my fish are happy.

murph145

pretty much between 1.24-1.25 is good for reef tanks .... im sure u can run it at 1.23 or 1.26 and be fine but around the first 2 numbers is good i keep mine around 1.25

murph145

yah i read that too..... i thought the same thing.... must be a fish only aquarium?? i recall

murph145

thats true u dont want it going from 1.24 then a couple days later up at 1.28 due to evap.... i usually put a gallon of di water in a day to make up for the evap .... is 1.19 ok for fish?? im sure it wouldnt be good for a reef right NM?

nm reef

I've heard many hobbyists keep fish only systems lower....so I'd agree that FO systems may be fine around 1.019-1.024 or so.

T

thomas712

1.024-1.026 is where I keep my reef. Many that have a lower salinity find that thier inverts don't do as well and wind up with sluggish snails or snails that die.

reefnut

Keeping your SG up around 1.024-1.026 (35ppt ideally IMO) will also help you keep the chemicals (calcium/alkalinity/magnesium/etc) up to proper levels.

bang guy

None of the parameters listed in this entire thread are Salinity values except ReefNut. It's important to note the difference between a Specific Gravity reading that can be used with temperature to derive Salinity and the actual Salinity value itself.
To answer the original question a Salinity between 35ppt and 37ppt is ideal for reef animals in my opinion. Higher if you are doing a Red Sea biotope.

thejdshow

I have read that for FO tanks lower salinities, as mentioned above, actualy put less stress on the fish. I read it in an article somewhere, if its false sorry for the bad info. Just forwarding what I read.

bang guy

I've read that too. I remain unconvinced. I have heard of fish living for years at lower salinity, but then I've heard of fish living for decades at NSW salinity levels.

fastmarc

Originally Posted by Dmitry
I've read in a few places that for FO tanks lower salinity boosts fish's immune system.
Hmm....
I honestly never heard of this before.
I think you cannot go wrong by keeping it NSW levels.
I wouldn't try to improve on nature.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by Dmitry
I've read in a few places that for FO tanks lower salinity boosts fish's immune system.
I suspect that's faulty cause/affect. Lower salinity can be used to combat parasites. Maybe this is what the articles meant?

pyro

This really isn't exactly on topic, but seems like a good place to ask.
I keep my S.G. at about 1.026. I think I'm going to lower it a bit because I'm using a swing arm hydrometer for measuring right now and I've heard its better to run a little lower (1.024-5).
Are there any signs that you can observe that can point you in the direction of lowering or highering your salinity? Such as shrinking of corals or anything? Just curious, Thanks!

bigarn

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
I suspect that's faulty cause/affect. Lower salinity can be used to combat parasites. Maybe this is what the articles meant?

Right on the money. :D

ssweet1

Every time I have bought fish I check their water and it is always very low like 1.017-1.019 I thought they were just being cheap with the salt or something. Carrie

dmitry

They might be! :D But I do think there are practical reasons for why a fish store would want to keep an overstocked tank at low salinity level. If it keeps the disease from spreading...it's good!