Pet peeves

earlybird

We all have them. Care to share?
My biggest and I have never commented on here is the spelling of "a lot." A lot of people think that a lot is spelled "alot."

anubisxero

grown adults referring to clownfish as "nemo's" and the worst of all, LFS's workers and owners doing them same!

bigarn

advise and advice! .... thanks for the advise (WRONG) ... it's thanks for the advice! you have no idea how long I've wanted to point this out.

anubisxero

Originally Posted by earlybird
We all have them. Care to share?
My biggest and I have never commented on here is the spelling of "a lot." A lot of people think that a lot is spelled "alot."
i know what you mean, although i'm guilty of this at times, but i think more so out of laziness. I know which is correct and incorrect half the time i just type out alot rather than a lot. I do notice it happens more when typing than physically writing.
on another note: largest pet peeve ever, is proper english. Spelling, spelling SPELLING! It's not that hard to learn how to spell a word properly, especially if you intend on using the word when speaking, if you can use it properly and say it properly but don't know how to spell it, take 2 minutes and look it up in a dictionary!

tx reef

When I am bidding a project and the engineer makes a change to the plans, they issue an addendum. The plural form of addendum is addenda. Engineers with degrees constantly refer to several addenda as "addendums".
When I catch mistakes like this on plans and specs. it bothers me so much that I cross through the offending word or words and correct it with a red pen.

shogun323

I hate when people use the word irregardless. It's a double negative that actually would break down as saying "not without regard."
I also hate when people say expresso. IT'S ESPRESSO PEOPLE!!!!
There...... I feel better already.

reefforbrains

I am really pretty mellow. Not much really gets to me however:
Shoot, I have written out 4 different things but keep erasing them as they are a bit harsh
So ill just smile and lurk

anubisxero

Originally Posted by ReefForBrains
I am really pretty mellow. Not much really gets to me however:
Shoot, I have written out 4 different things but keep erasing them as they are a bit harsh
So ill just smile and lurk
haha.

myreef05

I hate when someone says that they forgot to "unthaw" something for dinner. To unthaw something is to freeze it. IT is "THAW" out.

bigarn

Originally Posted by Ice4Ice
THE biggest pet peeve is people not using turn signal before turning.
or how about people who use them and don't turn ... :mad:

renogaw

been thinking:
atm machine and pin number.
for crying out loud.... atm stands for automated (automatic) teller machine and pin stands for personal identification number.
so when people say atm machine they are really saying automated teller machine machine

sharkboy13

my biggest pet peeve is when ppl say poisonous snake, ITS VENOMOUS! venom is injected poison is ingested, DIFFERENT!!!!! also another one of my pet peeves is when ppl rnt ophidiophobic but just downrite dont like them, i mean its alright to be afraid of them but dont come up to me mocking the latest venomous issue of reptiles by saying "why risk death? the articles dumb, if u dont wanna risk death just dont keep snakes, period." great buddy, no frankly i dont give a s*** what u think

nicetry

Smokers who think the world is their personal ashtray. You want to smoke, fine, but clean up after yourself and don't dump your ashtrays in parking lots, on beaches or toss butts out the window.
Pretty much the same for anyone who litters.