PH fell from 8.2 to 7.8 in 2 days...?

bigsteve

Hey everyone. As some of you migh know, I'm setting up a 20 gallon to house the few SW fishes I've been able to keep alive while I get all the sand that I stupidly dumped into my 44 not knowing better. Well, right now the 20g is cycling, and I've been doing water tests every 2 days.
Now... when I set up my very firts SW tank, I made another newbie mistake, and didn't have a test kit. So, I just waited 2 weeks, put 2 damsels in, and waited another month. So, while that tank was cycling, I have no idea what the water was doing. I guess you could say that this is my first time truly cycling a tank.
Now, I tested my water 2 days ago...
1.0 ammonia
8.2 PH
0 nitrites
40 nitrates
And today:
1.0 ammonia
7.8 PH
.50 nitrites
40 nitrates
Anyone else have an experience with their PH dropping when nitrites start to rise? And what do I do to get it back up? Thanks for any help.

T

tuningvis

thats good to know too... i just tested mine before the lights went on and it was at 7.8 as well... everything else is perfecto
thanks

22caddy

Yep, carbon dioxide rises at night and lowers the PH. I learned it the same way. Tested in the morning and PH was at 7.8. Did some searching to find out why it had dropped.

dedwards

Testing pH during the cycle is a waste of test supplies. The pH will fall during the conversions and will usually restablize itself once the cycle is complete.

bang guy

Originally posted by DEdwards
Testing pH during the cycle is a waste of test supplies. The pH will fall during the conversions and will usually restablize itself once the cycle is complete.

nacl-man

unless you like to know what happens during the cycle :)
Understanding water chemistry is crucial to success in this hobby and I don't think people should be detered from testing IMHO. After 2 years I am just now starting to understand the complex relationships between everything (other than just Ammonia bad, PH 8.2 good) it and wish that I had (kept) my records from my cycles and screw-ups.
Other than that you are absolutely 100% correct, please don't take offense :joy:
Cheers!
NaCl

bigsteve

I figured that all the spikes in the water chemistry would make PH fluctuate, but I wasn't sure.... thanks guys! :)

salt phish

I have a spread sheet on a clip board that i write down all my info ...water changes..... NH3/Nh4... ph... salinity...when I put new animals in....yadda ... yadda..... comes in handy

bigsteve

Originally posted by salt phish
I have a spread sheet on a clip board that i write down all my info ...water changes..... NH3/Nh4... ph... salinity...when I put new animals in....yadda ... yadda..... comes in handy

Heh... maybe I've got overkill then... I've got a 3-ring binder w/ those plastic dividers with all different sections. I write down EVERYTHING. Just started doing it... should come in handy like yours.