pH Keeps Going Down

euphoria

Originally posted by Andrew78
Acrylic is onto something there. Your pH will fluctuate with the lights on. To get a good reading you should test your pH at the same time whenever you test.

I have a pH meter and I keep an eye on it throughout the day. It bounces up and down through the photoperiod, between 7.9 to 8.2.

bang guy

Originally posted by EUPHORIA
Quck question on the above chart. If 8.4 dkH and 420Ca is sea water, then why would BangGuy or anyone in this case want to have a goal of 11.20dkH and 440 Ca?

I tend to maintain levels close to natural sea water. If you have a high ratio of calcifying animals per gallon of water (I don't) then it's wise to maintain levels higher because ALK can be depleted quickly in such systems.
IMO your PH is just fine. just make sure your skimmer is operating well and you have a lot of waterflow in your system.
Have you tried dripping limewater?

euphoria

Originally posted by Bang Guy
I tend to maintain levels close to natural sea water. If you have a high ratio of calcifying animals per gallon of water (I don't) then it's wise to maintain levels higher because ALK can be depleted quickly in such systems.
IMO your PH is just fine. just make sure your skimmer is operating well and you have a lot of waterflow in your system.
Have you tried dripping limewater?

I haven't even considered dripping kalk or using calcium reactors on this tank, but this summer I"m setting up a 180 gallon tank, most likely a SPS tank, and I am highly considering dripping kalk in there. I would have liked to get away w/out having to do that, but reading most people's setups w/ such size tanks and SPS corals, I think I may have to.
I have absolutely no experience in that area though, so any advice would be appreciated greatly.