PH to low

mrme123

I am having problems getting my PH to the right level. If I add more coral to the bottom will it raise PH? I have 45 pounds in a 55gal. All other readings are good with the exception of the ph.

mrme123

I have used a PH buffer. Not helping much. Are there any other options? And I have one more question. I have a blue hippo tang, that now looks like it has ich. I do not have a QT yet. Is it safe to treat the whole aqurarium.

napalmrat

I use Tufa rock.. naturlaly raises your PH, just throw it in the sump, when your PH is back up, take it out and sae it for another use. Your LFS should heva some in stock, works well on freshwater too

bang guy

Originally Posted by Mrme123
I am having problems getting my PH to the right level. If I add more coral to the bottom will it raise PH? I have 45 pounds in a 55gal. All other readings are good with the exception of the ph.

Adding more coral or any other type of substrate will not solve the problem.
If your Alkalinity is not low then adding a buffer will often make the problem worse. Never add a buffer to increase PH it is always a bad idea in my opinion.
There are many reasons why PH can be low but it is almost always excess CO2. Sometimes it's rotting organic material and somethimes it's not really low, the hobbiest has just been brainwashed by "Buffer" manufacturers.
To tailor a solution for your PH problem I need to know a lot more:
Tank size
Waterflow (in GPH)
Skimmer size
PH range - test once in AM and once in PM
Alkalinity
Calcium

S

sinner's girl

I agree with Bang, find the problem before adding any chemicals to your tank. I've never used any buffers before (though I don't have a reef), and my ph is 8.4 (with the expection of lately, but we figured out the problem and I'm fixing it).

bunnyl99

Bang Guy---I need your help too--don't want to steal the thread either. I have the same problem too. can't keep it above 7.8

rrundle77

Someone posted a great (if / then) statement last week can whoever it was repost

If ph is to high then ..............
If alk to to low then...........

bang guy

Originally Posted by bunnyl99
Bang Guy---I need your help too--don't want to steal the thread either. I have the same problem too. can't keep it above 7.8
Welp, I still need all of the same information from you if I'm to understand the problem.

mrme123

Ok my tank size is 55 gal not sure what the water flow is I have a top fin 60 filter, an aqua clear 50 power head and a sea clone 100 skimmer. th PH is 7.8, ALK is 180 Nitrate 20 nittrite 0 and cal I do not has a tester for

moneyman

Originally Posted by Mrme123
Ok my tank size is 55 gal not sure what the water flow is I have a top fin 60 filter, an aqua clear 50 power head and a sea clone 100 skimmer. th PH is 7.8, ALK is 180 Nitrate 20 nittrite 0 and cal I do not has a tester for
You dont seem to have enough flow. Your low pH might be dued to the excess CO2 in your tank. Do this:
1) Take out a cup of tank water
2) Bubble it using an air pump for an hour. Make sure it is near an opened window.
3) Now, test your water in the tank and in the cup.
If the water in your tank is lower than that in the cup, you have CO2 build-up. In that case, increases your flow.

bang guy

I see a problem with your waterflow being really low. I'd recommend adding enough powerheads to add at least an additional 500gph. A pair of good powerheads will work. I believe that may completely solve the problem. If it doesn't rise in the next week after adding the powerheads post back and we'll go to plan 'B'.

sal713

I am very interested in this also. Bang had told me to put my air hose for the skimmer out the window for fresh air. It helped a little but my ph is still not up where is should be. I just tested my RO water and the ph is only 5! Could this be my problem??!!

moneyman

Originally Posted by sal713
I am very interested in this also. Bang had told me to put my air hose for the skimmer out the window for fresh air. It helped a little but my ph is still not up where is should be. I just tested my RO water and the ph is only 5! Could this be my problem??!!
Do the test I described earlier to see if you have excess CO2 in your tank.
The pH of RO (RODI) water is suppose to be low. This is because RO stripped out a lot of alkalinity (buffer) that would have balanced the pH of pure water. Also, RO and RODI does not take out co2, thus reducing the pH.

bang guy

The PH of the fresh water used for topoff and mixing salt is irrelevant as long as the water is fairly pure it will not affect the tank PH at all.