PH to low

zman1

Originally Posted by MoneyMan
The pH of RO (RODI) water is suppose to be low. This is because RO stripped out a lot of alkalinity (buffer) that would have balanced the pH of pure water. Also, RO and RODI does not take out co2, thus reducing the pH.
I had to go take reading from my pH monitor. I know when I calibrate it I get a cup full of water from my RO/DI reservoir that it always reads high. You have to rinse the probe between solutions. Just read the RO/DI pH 8.9 and from the TAP 8.0.
Also, A Fuge with macro algae helps with the CO2 to O2 gas exchange.

bang guy

Originally Posted by zman1
Also, A Fuge with macro algae helps with the CO2 to O2 gas exchange.
Not always. It depends on the lighting schedule.

sal713

well, if its not the water flow and the "bubbling the water" test didnt work, what else can I look at. The basic water parameters are fine but the ph is low and the calcium is around 500

arsen_36

yeah my ph wont go up either
! i have 2 rio 50 power heads. i got a 10g. i also have a BUNCH of hair algae! could this be the problem?

zman1

Originally Posted by arsen_36
yeah my ph wont go up either
! i have 2 rio 50 power heads. i got a 10g. i also have a BUNCH of hair algae! could this be the problem?

Don't let the whole CO2 algae issue distract you. CO2 (fish expel C02)has a lowering affect on pH which is what a Ca reactor uses to lower the chamber pH to dissolve the media. The photosynthesis process of/in algae converts CO2 to O2. Just like it does in land plants/trees. That's way the declining rain forest are concerns causing a greenhouse effect.
I have a Ca reactor and I get residual CO2 in the tank and my pH used to drop considerably at night ( No Photosynthesis). I now run my refug on a opposite schedule of the DT lights and the swing is minimum, since there is algea in the DT just not Macro. By reducing CO2 to minimize the lowering effect on pH is how this started here.
Having your Ca and Alk out of balance can cause pH issues. Like Sal713 has a little high Ca.

bunnyl99

My RO/DI water runs about 7. When I did a water change, I added buffer (now know that's a no no) It would run 8.2 for a few weeks and then bottom out at 7.8.

bang guy

Originally Posted by sal713
well, if its not the water flow and the "bubbling the water" test didnt work, what else can I look at. The basic water parameters are fine but the ph is low and the calcium is around 500
If everything in your tank is fine and your other water parameters are fine and you don't have any rotting detritus then I'd suggest you not worry about the low PH.