pH went from 8.2 to 7.8 in a month.

mkroher

So I have a tank running for a month now. I have a deep sand bed, 2-3" of OOlite, and an inch of aragonite. When I tested the pH the first couple days it was running, it was 8.2. Now it's 7.8.
This tank replaced a smaller tank, which was always at 7.8 also. I use Instant Ocean salt, and RO/DI water. I tested the pH this morning before any lights came on too.
What can I look for to remedy this problem? Is it a problem?

cranberry

When you test in the morning you get a lower value. Testing should be done later in the day after the lights have been on for awhile.
A lower pH and also mean an increasing buildup of organic matter... sometimes a cleaning up and a nice water change can help with this.

S

sdch1000

Maybe your alkalinity is low? I had a similar problem and couldn't figure out why I kept loosing fish after a few weeks. All my ammonia, nitrites/trates were good but I totally forgot testing for alkalinity. Fish/food waste and coraline/coral growth used up the buffer which caused my pH to drop. Once I added some carbonate my alkalinity stabilized and PH returned back to 8.2.

ophiura

In order to understand this, you need an alkalinity and calcium reading.
You did take the reading when it would be lowest...you should take one later in the day as noted.
Do not add any buffers to change this until you know your alk and calcium...it is in simple times at least a 3 part chemistry issue, if not 4 or 5, before even considering biological factors.
Do you have glass tops on the tank? Do you have surface aggitation?

mkroher

Originally Posted by ophiura
http:///forum/post/3168335
In order to understand this, you need an alkalinity and calcium reading.
You did take the reading when it would be lowest...you should take one later in the day as noted.
Do not add any buffers to change this until you know your alk and calcium...it is in simple times at least a 3 part chemistry issue, if not 4 or 5, before even considering biological factors.
Do you have glass tops on the tank? Do you have surface aggitation?
It is an open top tank and I have plenty of surface aggitation. I will get alk and cal test kits.

cranberry

Check it in the evening and see what you get. No sense looking for and trying to fix a problem if their isn't one.
But if you get a 8.0, I would leave that well enough alone. I think we do too much dinkering in our tanks to get the values at "prefect" values.
I do buffer my RO/DI..... that's about it.

mkroher

Originally Posted by Cranberry
http:///forum/post/3168548
Check it in the evening and see what you get. No sense looking for and trying to fix a problem if their isn't one.
But if you get a 8.0, I would leave that well enough alone. I think we do too much dinkering in our tanks to get the values at "prefect" values.
I do buffer my RO/DI..... that's about it.
just measured pH.. it's 8.2 (lights have been on all day). Isn't that a dangerous fluctuation? I thought a 0.1 difference in pH is 10 times acidic.

cranberry

7.8 is the bare morning minimum. I wouldn't mess with it though if you are not seeing a problem.... and more than likely you won't because it's very common.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by Cranberry
http:///forum/post/3168844
7.8 is the bare morning minimum. I wouldn't mess with it though if you are not seeing a problem.... and more than likely you won't because it's very common.
Seeking "ideal", rather than perfectly acceptable, water conditions often leads to more problems and a lot of expense. (Prime example: all the money & time trying to maintain "zero" nitrate in fish-only tanks.) I'd keep an eye on this and make sure it doesn't get any lower.

cranberry

But sometimes, while intervening to try an obtain an "ideal" can get you an unstable tank. I believe, as long as it is within "normal" range, if it's not broken, don't fix it. Now, if there was a problem, by all means. But what exactly are you trying to correct if you look at your tank and all looks good. My tanks are looking hot right now. If their pHs were 7.8 should I try to fix it.... so that my tanks can look great..... which they already do? Do you get what I'm saying?
A morning pH of 7.8 is actually common.