ph

reef ring

hi just wondering my ph started off being8.2 and now it is 8.4 is that safe ph can it be to high for marine tank it's only been running for about 5 months and started to use some buffers so my alkilinity would rise cause i was told this is better for inverts and coral

mudplayerx

If ph is too high then your inverts will be unable to extract the calcium from the water. You aren't using any equipment like bubble wands, airstones or the like are you?
I would hold off on the buffer additive and make sure your skimmer is operating at peak performance to get rid of some of the buffer.

bang guy

8.2 - 8.4 is ideal IMO. If PH gets too high then calcium could precipitate out of solution.
What is you ALK level? It should be kept in balance with the Calcium level. You'll have to test these levels to keep them in balance.
It good practice to only add things that you test for.

reef ring

i only know that the alkilinity level is high i don't know the exact amount my tester just reads low medium and high, my calciumlevel is at 400 don't if thats in balance please let me know what kind of balance

reef ring

Originally posted by mudplayerx
If ph is too high then your inverts will be unable to extract the calcium from the water. You aren't using any equipment like bubble wands, airstones or the like are you?
I would hold off on the buffer additive and make sure your skimmer is operating at peak performance to get rid of some of the buffer.

no i am not using any airstones what level is to high and how do test for a level higher than 8.4

bang guy

I'd suggest a better set of test kits. If you're going to maintain a reef tank you're going to want to know what's going on with your water. With Calcium at 400 then ALK should be 2.5 - 3.0 Meq/L. Your PH is fine, I wouldn't worry about it :)