Ph?

mikeyjer

techrider6 said:
over the weekend i added ph buffer to my tank when i got home saturday night i had
white stuff all over my glass and overflow so beware when adding ph buffer to your tank.
Originally Posted by nater
I would use caution when adding buffers to directly alter PH. Try researching this in other threads--maintaining your systems alkalinity and calcium levels is directly related to a stable PH. Adding buffers to affect these parameters is much less likely to cause problems down the road.
techrider62
Did you premix the buffer in freshwater before you dump it in? It did say in the direction, IF it doesn't dissolve right, there's something more you should check for, can't remember what it was......and also for the previous quotes, I also DID notice my PH drop over time, it went from 8.4 to 8.0, I had my LFS check my water too and they even suggested that I needed to add buffer to my water!!! Like I've said before, I ALWAYS buy premixed water to change my water. And I buy RO water for top offs to keep the salinity at 1.025 But I'm gonna listen to Reefnut this time to try without using the buffer and see what happens. I will update if there's any significant change after doing so without the buffer over a period of time. Oh yea, for the other guy, like I've said after the first few post, chemistry class was wayyyyyyyyyy back then...lol... Couldn't remember which one was which 7+ or 7- being acid or base... :hilarious

reefnut

Just to make sure I haven't mislead anyone or was unclear... we should test the alkalinity of the tank's water and add buffers if necessary to maintain the alkalinity between 8-12dkh and at the same time test calcium and add if necessary to maintain the calcium between 400-450ppm.
The main point I was trying to make is not to add buffers to makeup water (unless it is kalk) or newly mixed saltwater. Now after you add it to the tank, again test and add if necessary but add both a buffer and calcium so you maintain the balance between them.

alimon

PHosphate.
Originally Posted by Billy2k1
I just read that there is not ph in ro+di water,i'm new in this hobbie and i'm setting up a new tank and thats exactly what i used, ro+di water,what should i do as far as ph???

kittenboo

Ok Reef :help: :help: .......... After reading this thread I am now concerned. I have a 46 gal tank that has been cycling for 5 weeks. It has 40 #s LS and 16#s LR and 2 blue damesles and a few hermit crabs. I have noticed this week or so that my PH is droping. I was going to add some buffer, like baking soda, and then I read all this. I really don't want to mess with my cal. levels. I think they are GREAT considering that my LR is covered with wonderful colors in a matter of 2 weeks after I add a piece to my tank. I don't want to lose that sooooo should I just do a water change?
PS. didn't know about the not cycling with fish till it was too late. My levels for nitrites and nitrate are 0 and my SG is 1.023. I have been trying to raise this slowly over the last 2 weeks. It was at 1.021 which is low. So I have been taking some of the tank water out and adding salt and then putting the water back into the tank to raise the SG. This was a sugestion instead of doing a water change.

reefnut

Well first off don't worry about your PH until your cycle is completely over. The organic acids produced during the cycle can cause a lowered PH.
For now you should be just fine with doing water changes... after you get some corals you will want to get a Alkalinity Test Kit and a Calcium Test Kit. Salifert makes some of the best...
The idea is to focus on your alkalinity/calcium levels more so than the PH levels. IF you maintain these two levels and then still have a low PH you need to find the cause... not add more baking soda. Now, baking soda can be used to increase your alkalinity levels!!
When your tank gets stocked I would look into getting B-Ionic or another good two-part additive. These additives will supply your tank with both alk & calcium... along with mag and other trace elements. Again, keep your alk between 8-12dkh and your ca between 400-450ppm respectfully... meaning if your alkalinity is at 9dkh your calcium should be around 410ppm or so. You can see a chart here>>> https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/175205/calcium-alkalinity-chart
Again I don't want anyone to think that I am saying that buffers should not be added... all I'm saying is they should not be added to make up water or water change water and they should only be used to increase and maintain the tank's alkalinity.
hth
btw, I would increase the salinity by replacing evaporated water with saltwater. Mixing a strong saltwater solution can also cause precipitation.

kittenboo

Thanks for all the info. I will check out the chart. I love reading as much as I can about it all. Ummm another question that you might be able to help me with. I have had my tank up as I said for 5 weeks, I never witnessed a spike. Is it posiable that your tank can cycle and no spike occur? I have been checking everything everyother day and no spikes. So when do I know that my tank is cycled? And can add another fish.