Phosban reactor up and running

zanemoseley

Well I just got my phosban reactor up and running and so far so good, I ran about 3 gal of RO/DI water through it before putting it in the tank get get rid of the micro particles. Right now I have it where its only fluidizing about the top 1/3 of the ROWAphos, anybody know how much of it is suppose to be moving. I just wanted to start out lowflow so I don't get junk in my tank. BTW use 1/2" tubing not 3/8" I also put some 90 barbed elbows for easy use and to make it more compact, my sump is officially full now.

footbag

Just ordered my reactor and ROWAphos on sunday. I thought it would be here today, but what can you do.
What was your PO4 reading when you started, and what is it now?
I belive the instructions state that you should set the flow by decreasing it until PO4 of output water tests 0. This seemed a little weird that it would only take one pass to remove the PO4. If thats true it would turn over (and remove all the PO4) in my 90g tank in a couple hours. Seems a little ambitious to me, but worth its weight in gold if it works.

zanemoseley

I actually started out with 0 organic phosphate but its the stores phosphate that is hard to test for, I have a very small amount of hair algae but want to prevent it, I have started my flow low and will go higher, you don't want to start the flow out too high or you're gonna get fine particles in the tank
as far as buying on just go to google and type in phosban 150 reactor, that should get you to a site

benj2112

I have mine fluidizing the 2/3rds of the Rowaphos on one side of it and the other half is fluidizing about 1/2 of the media (a few places where the largest pieces now on the bottom don't move that much).
I don't think I could get it to do more than that or I will start getting material in my sump (already experienced a little bit of that after the first night).

zanemoseley

thats about how much I have fluidizing, the large pieces are on the bottom
I used 1/2" because I also had 3/8" and it was too small, no need to force it on there, also the 1/2" removes easily for media changing and cleaning

michelle13

I can't wait until mine gets here. I am a little ticked at the site I ordered from because on the status page it says they shipped it on the 13th, but I e-mailed them and twice they have said it hasn't shipped but will within the week. Hope they send it soon. Do you know if it can be set outside the tank or does it have to be in a sump?

footbag

I belive it can be placed outside the sump. I was going by the, shipped status on the status page of the place I ordered it from. Hopefully it's not the same place, because I was expecting it yesterday or today. I hate waiting.

I

iluvfish

What pump did you purchase for this? Or did it come with one? Do you have any px?

benj2112

I have a mag drive 1.5 on mine (pretty good as it has to pump up about 2' on my setup).
I don't have a digital camera so no pics from me, sorry.
Still thinking about the tubing I used...I got 3/8" black tubing so I wouldn't have to deal with anything growing in it (which hopefully wouldn't as the water just went through a phosphate remover). Yeah, I did have to heat the ends of the tubing to get it on, though.
On shipping...the order sheet I got just said it was shipped the day I placed the online order, but I know from Melody (who talked to the guy) that he didn't ship any until the next week (which also coincides with when I got mine as well). So, if we are talking about the same site with the monthly special then they aren't accurate about when they actually ship.

zanemoseley

well 3/8" may work with the reactor but I used 1/2" barbed 90 degree bends to plumb mine up to my Maxijet 400 and they don't have 3/8" barbed fitting plus the maxi output is 1/2" , don't waste your money on a large maxi for the reactor because I'm fluidizing roughly 2/3 of the media and have the ball valve restricting some

g13

I'm still waiting for mines also. I ordered it with some rowaphos. Can any of you guys show some pics of how you guys set it up? Does it have a hook of sort for it to hang on the back of a tank?

benj2112

Sorry...I don't have a digital camera to give you a nice set-up pic.
Don't laugh but here is one that shows the hook to hang on the tank or sump in the red box, with water going in and out with the red arrows and the media is fluidized in mine between the two blue lines.

g13

Thanks benj2112, that clears up what I was thinking. So if I'm to hang it on the back of the tank it will not be in the upright position like the picture shows, it'll be sideways, right? Or does the hook swivel for it to hang upright? How long is the reactor?

liquorfish

I also ordered mine on 4/13. I e-mailed them and got a quick response back about waiting for more stock from the manufacturer.
They seem quick to want to refund you, so beware. Sounds like it could be a long time before we get them. :mad: