Phosban reactor up and running

benj2112

Do a search for "phosban reactor 150" and you will find a place lots of places. The one most seem to be getting it from has a Monthly special. These things are on backorder all over the place, so you might have to check around.

benj2112

Rowaphos is a media that absorbs phosphate, silicates, and arsenic. It is the iron-based version of phosphate removers that has the benefit of not leaching phosphate back into the water when the media becomes exhausted, which the aluminum based phosphate removers do. It has a tendency to get as hard as a brick if placed in a filter bag in a canister filter and has to be kept in a fluidized bed filter like the phosban reactor.
Again, just do a search for Rowaphos on the web and you will find all kinds of places that sell it (maybe from the same place you buy your reactor from).

g13

Tried installing mine today with a 1/2 " hose. Got some leaks to late to take care of it today. Hopefully the rowaphos don't harden up by tomorrow.

benj2112

Originally posted by balistikb
How do you know how much Rowaphos to put into it? I was thinking of getting one myself.

I just eye balled the container and estimated. I got the 1000ml container so I could easily estimate a 1/3 of it at a time to put in it.

benj2112

I think these things work great (with Rowaphos in them at least). :joy:
It is a very simple design that could actually be a pretty easy DIY project. I put Rowaphos in mine and the stuff easily gets to the phosphate before the irritating algaes can. I only have to clean my glass once every two weeks and that is more to get the nas. snail eggs and hydroid jellyfish off than because it is getting dirty.

cool I hope they do work,but it seems like in this hobby nothing cheap works all the stuff I have that works great cost big $$$$ so this will be great for the hobby if it works well.:)

benj2112

Well, the filter itself is pretty cheap, but the Rowaphos is a bit on the expensive side. There...now it is back to being expensive again. :D

I am still running Rowa on my system, however there do seem to be some problems with it on occasion...especially if you have SPS. There are some pretty interesting threads on this subject on other saltwater forums. It may (or may not) be worth your while to research in a broader spectrum.

I

iluvfish

I just got my hooked up and thank goodness ran it into a bucket. The output is very rust colored. Does this go away?

I

iluvfish

Did your leak out the air vents in the top of the lid? Mine did. Is it just because I had the ball valve wide open? I haven't tried it again - I still need some elbows so the tubing doesn't kink. I will get those today.

benj2112

I would say start the pump with the valve closed all the way or just a tiny, tiny bit open....no mine didn't because I started with the valve closed and just very slowly opened it. I still never have the valve all the way open...depends on your water pump and what the Rowaphos is doing in the reactor.
I bet you got one big mess from starting with it open all the way. You just want enough water flow through the phosban 150 to keep the Rowaphos fluidized. Water should be able to flow through it, but gravity should still win in keeping the Rowaphos in the bottom half of the filter, without any getting out after the initial dust gets flushed out.