Phosphates Problem Need Some Help!!!!!

nycbob

the only thing i can think of is something in ur tank is leaking phosphate into the water. maybe a live rock? any inverts dying recently?

tdog7879

Originally Posted by nycbob
http:///forum/post/2760116
the only thing i can think of is something in ur tank is leaking phosphate into the water. maybe a live rock? any inverts dying recently?
What about this. I have playsand on the bottom of my DSB? The playsand said screen wash silicate free? Also a hermit or a snail might of died?...I have a lot of snails that bury themselves so i don't every see them?

mr_x

i don't know about the play sand, but i would only use an aragonite based sand in my system. one snail wouldn't do it.

stanlalee

I had playsand (whole tank and sump at one point) that was labeled to contain a SMALL amount of silicates. I still never had a phophate issue. I did have macro algae. I may or may not have had silicates (dont know never tested) but if I did it never manifested itself into some sort of issue. I remember my 1rst 30g the first time I tested for phospates it was off the charts (like 8ppm). I got it down to 1ppm with just more frequent water changes over several months.

saltn00b

how old are the LR? did you buy them from a LFS or from another reefer?
phosphates get locked up in the LR and dont come out. Once these giant "sponges" are filled with PO4 and can no longer absorb it, the water column starts to build up PO4 content. if it is all very old LR then maybe you want to carefully (cure) switch out your LR.
you can also replace or add LS / aragonite that will perform the same function.

tdog7879

Originally Posted by saltn00b
http:///forum/post/2764996
how old are the LR? did you buy them from a LFS or from another reefer?
phosphates get locked up in the LR and dont come out. Once these giant "sponges" are filled with PO4 and can no longer absorb it, the water column starts to build up PO4 content. if it is all very old LR then maybe you want to carefully (cure) switch out your LR.
you can also replace or add LS / aragonite that will perform the same function.
My tank is only 8 months old so the rock is pretty new and i have about 2 inches of LS on top of the playsand
I am going to get a better phos. test kit this weekend the api are hard to read.