Phytoplankton causing diatoms?

marineguys

Our 55 has normal parameters and only use RO. It's over 3 months old and is cycled. We started adding LIVE phytoplankton for the filter feeders. We read that phyto has like 80% diatoms. So if we stop with live phyto will the diatoms plaque stop too?

marineguys

Does it cause diatoms "algae" blooms.... we have all live rock and live sand.....no trates or trites or phos......

reefkprz

if there are enough nutrients that the diatoms require they will continue untill they have consumed all thats available, usually its a phase that passes, I wouldnt worry too much.

bang guy

DTs has a low concentration of Diatoms, if any.
It is a food though and as a food it will increase the nutrient levels in your system. Diatoms are the masters of securing nutrients if they are present.
That said, it's typically silicates that limit Diatom Growth. They can pull nutrients from even the cleanest reef water but they cannot reproduce without Silicate.
I'm going to guess that you set up your system using tap water instead of RO/DI water when you mixed your saltwater.
I also agree with reefkprZ that a new tank typically has an abundance of nutrients and algae blooms are fairly normal.
I'd recommend lowering the amount of DTs you feed until the algae blooms slow down. Your filter feeders will have plenty to eat as long as there are excess nutrients causing algae blooms. Once the algae cuts back you can start {slowly} ramping up the amount of DTs.

dueces

I always wonder if my bad Diatom outbreak was caused by my DT's. I was dosing my tank w/DTs and then out of no where I had brown and red algea all over the tank. I use RODI water and did a bunch of water changes and the algea would be right back. My levels were ok so I thought it was a bacteria or something like that. I moved my tank and stopped putting in DT's and the algea went away. Could this be caused by a bad bottle???? Do most people dose with this stuff?

marineguys

Bang, we originally started a thread about our diatoms on the reef tanks section. If you search diatoms you'll find it. The thing is we have no silicates. We have only live rock and live sand. So where do the silicates come from? You are correct when we first set it up we used tap water. But that was one batch and we immediately switch to RO water. After three months of 1 week water changes I'd think it would be fine. Why diatoms now? I reallly think its the DT's. We have ceased using it and we shall see. The corals are on their own they can use light... the feather duster however... oh well.

reefkprz

Many water sources contain silicates or silicic acid, or compounds that contain these elements and these compounds eventually break down, adding silicates and silicic acid to your aquarium's water.
In aquariums where sandy or other forms of substrate are used, silicate can leach "out" of these compounds, and enter the tank's water very quickly.
diatoms can also "pull" small amounts of silicates directley from your glass and silicone sealant. your not likley going to find a 100% silicate free environment, But as I said before once they use up the soluble silica present in the system (since your useing Ro/di you wont be adding more) they should pass

bang guy

Apparently it takes a while to remove silicates. How long? I don't know.
I had a friend that dosed silicates on purpose to grow Diatoms to propogate snails.
Years after just one dose the water is a still a solid green.
That's totally anecdotal and perhaps the bloom is caused by something else but apparently the snails enjoy it a lot.
I think reefkprZ said it right, just wait it out and it will go away on its own.
The thing with DTs is that you're adding a lot of nutrition to a closed system. The idea is to start the dosing very small and slowly build up.
What types of Feather Dusters? Many types of Dusters can't eat phytoplankton. They are all filter feeders but some species eat bacteria, some eat zooplankton, etc. They are not all the same.

marineguys

The snails don't seem to eat much of it... oh and i have 3 sand sifter snails and the sand still looks like crap even in the area they stay in! it looks green in the pics but its actually brown.