Picky Lion

I

irenicus

Hello All,
I recently got a lion and he's not eating from what I see. I don't want to use feeders of any kind... What methods have been successfull for everyone? Thanks in advance!

gliuomo

The only only thing I can say is just wait it out. I had my lion for about two weeks before he ate. Then just one day I put some krill in the water and he went after it. Now him eats anything I put in the tank. He even eats pellet food somtimes.

azeritis

IF you have a feeding stick try and create some motion so that the food appears live. And take the food close to him but not with your hands and try not to scare him...

good advice from azeritis. if health is becoming a concern, you may have to feed live food to keep him from starving. they can, as gliuomo said, go without eating for weeks though

T

toungetwster

My lion refused to eat for 3 weeks...until I finally broke down and gave him some ghost shrimp...but he still will not eat anything else...cept once I saw him munching on nori (dried seaweed) I put in for the tang. LOL. I tried silversides, krill (dried and frozen), even live goldfish..and Yes I know you're not suposed to feed goldfish..but I tired...out of despriation.. Anyway..live ghost shrimp...seems to be his food...until I can convince him to try something else.

I

irenicus

Thanks everyone for your help... it is much appreciated. My lion is starting to eat now (Frozen Krill).

julius

when i first got my lion he didnt eat anything i put in there i had to entice him with feeder guppies now he eats bloodworms brine shrimp ect took him off the feeders, some people feed night crawlers to there lions thats just some added info.

betts

Why is everyone against live feeders for the lionfish? Isn't this its natural food in the wild? Granted we all can't get live feeders as I can in Florida, but to make it starve so you can chose its food for it seems so cruel at times. I have 5 Lionfish at the present, 3 Volitans, 1 Russelli and a Dwarf Fuzzy...the Russelli will eat whatever you drop in the tank at its chosing, the Volitans prefer live feeders and so does the Dwarf Fuzzy. We have been able to substitute frozen feeders when live aren't available by using a feeding stick and making sure the eyes are facing them and wiggling it as if it were swimming and they will take those. As for pellets or flake food they won't even consider that! I'm glad my momma didn't make me go without food to make me eat what she wants. Sorry if this sounds bad, but I do truly value my lionfish and I guess its been noted that they do get spoiled like they were my kids. Think about it. BTW, we are in the process of setting up to sell frozen feeders for just such predator fish. If interested just let me know. But please, don't starve them for days just because you want them to eat a certain thing.

julius

feeder fish are goldfish they dont thrive in saltwater so they wont have access to them in the wild. Feeder goldfish lack nutrients they need also if you look at at some lfs have feeders fish by the 1000's have of them are dead and that is not a good sign. If you want to keep your lion healty feed him krill, shrimp, silversides, ect, but not feeder fish.

betts

I must correct a statement I made..I used the term live feeders forgetting that most people do not have local access to the ocean, when I stated live feeders I was speaking of saltwater ocean feeders such as small grunts, some small pinfish, and the likes. We also catch our own saltwater shrimp for our lions. I do not like the idea of using goldfish or freshwater feeders duely because of lack of nutrients high fat content and just not a healthy diet for these guys. Unfortunately, I know of no LFS that sells saltwater feeders (live or frozen) other than your krill and silversides. Our lions feast well on the feeders we catch and eat when they want to as we add feeders to the tank and let them swim at will until eaten. Really does work out well. Wish all saltwater predator enthusiast could have the benefit of feeders that we have. It really seems to make a difference in how the fish do and how they grow. As for a question that keeps popping up about wild caught feeders bringing disease into the tank, I will say that we have never had disease from any local caught species of fish or feeders but have had plenty of it from store bought imported fish.