Pico tank

1snapple

okay. I got a pico (3gal) tank from the LFS used from them. They gave me 2 SPS corals, emerald crab, mult. snails and hermits.
They also gave me their light fixture. It's an odysea with 50/50 bulbs and a current tru-lumen led moonlight.
My fish is going to be a red head goby or a gold lined goby. Inverts are fire shrimp.
Now to my question. I cannot get a constant temp with the heater I have in it. What heater should I get to keep the temp at 77*F?
I also want to know if the light I have will support my SPS corals. One looks great, the other not so good. any recommendations?
I also have 4 different types zoas

tang master

The light may not be sufficient for sps...infact i would discourage it. A marineland stealth 25 or 50 watt heater will do. they are preset to keep the water at a constant 78 degrees. how many watts is ur light?

bill109

please dont waste your money on a marineland. i will bad mouth their heaters untill the day i die.. they suck.
go with a hydor 50. i use that in my pico. for lighting. if you want to do mainly sps, look into LED. for keeping more light demanding corals, a par 30 would do that tank niiiicely.
i am going to be seting up a little custom 6 gal and will be using par 38's on it. i have seen some great reviews on them.

1snapple

right now I have a coralife 50/50 PC light I believe. The 1 sps i have is fine. Im not sure what to look for if it's good. All i really know is that it's not bleaching out. The thing I hate about having 3gallons to work with is that you can't put 2 heaters in there incase one fails. You have 2 working together and one breaks your temp goes up very little over a long perod of time. 1 big heater and it breaks on then the temp will dramatically increase.

tang master

why do u not like them. i have had no problems with them ever. especially in my 3g pico. it has kept my pico at a constant 78-79 degrees for the past 2 years

J

jstdv8

stealths far and away have the worst record on these saltwater forums as a whole.
I personally know 3 reefers locally that within the last year have had stealth failures. And I don't even know that many reefers.
jeager heaters are the way to go.

tang master

well on all of the other forums, i know personally 9 fellow reefers that all have marineland heaters except one, and they all have had good success too. idk, guess its just personal preference.

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tang Master http:///forum/thread/382486/pico-tank#post_3340896
well on all of the other forums, i know personally 9 fellow reefers that all have marineland heaters except one, and they all have had good success too. idk, guess its just personal preference.
I had no problems with my stealths...................UNTIL......LAST WEEK.....I have no clue hwat happened exactly...wires were frayed and the plug in was BLACK

I'm not too sure I would blame the heater.....thinking the cord could have been bitten (ran thru sump) or pinched....like I said.....I have no clue. The heater body was intact, and I am using the other 250W to heat my 225G on its own right now

1snapple

who wants pics? I have some cool zoas. I have 2 different types of eagle eye zoas, nuclear sunset, hulk zoas, Armor of anikin, orange explosion, and 1 SPS I don't have a name for.