Pics/new addition

First off, I'd like to say thank you to everyone on the SWF.com board. If my pics attach correctly than you can all see what you've made possible. Today I got the first livestock I've ever owned in a SW fish tank. As I've posted in the past this is my first ever SW fish tank, (and only my second fish tank ever). NONE of it could have been accomplished without the people on this board's help....
So, excuse me if I post too many pics, but as you might understand, I'm really "revved" about my first additions.(Two scarlet hermits & and two turbo snails) :cool: :cool: Not much, but for me it's really :p :cool: crazy cool.....

hhands361

What kind of tank are you planning? Because if you want to get any forms of inveribrates (corals, shrimp, etc) that large hermit crab will simply eat it. They are very agressive and destuctive. Also, what is that hermit eating? Is that a starfish???

OK last one.. My two snails. By the way, my two hermit's names are ying and yang. (The shy one is ying) I know it's a little overboard, but the familie's REALLY happy about the new additions and we've been celebrating Cinco de Mayo all weekend:D :D :D :D (I'm suprised I can still type);) - No names for the snails yet-

Thanks for the feedback hhands361. I'm planning a reef, and have heard that hermits are nasty, but I bought the smallest two I could find. The biggest is about 2 inches at the longest point (of the shell). No, he's not eating a starfish (that would be cruel) I bought a few squid heads for them at Wegman's this afternoon. I figured it would break in the skimmer & give them a treat.:)

hhands361

phew i was convinved that was a starfish! haha. About those crabs. The same thing happened to me. I just warning you i had many a creature dissapear into the greedy bast%#rd's stomach. They grow, fast. Just trying to help.

hhands361

Also, not all hermits are nasty. Really the only nasty kind is that. There are many hermits like blue-legs that are extremely popular for th reefer because they are purchased in such quantites becuae they are small. They are very benefital and reef safe and are the way to go.

Thanks hhands361. I must be mistaken, I thought I read that the scarlets were safer than the blue legs. Anywho, thanks for the info. if the scarlets eat thing than "such as life". (of course, once he eats an expensive treat than I might change my mind LOL:) .... As always, I'll keep everyone posted on what happens.

leigh

er...is that a scarlet? it looks a lot like the baby brother of this guy--i love him, don't get me wrong, but he's killed a tang and a chocolate chip starfish (not in my tanks!)--i got him super cheap at my lfs just cause the guy didn't know what to do with him anymore (thus my invert tank)
-leigh
oh, and ps, i really like how you set up your rockwork! looks very nice :)

E

elan

nice setup!!!
yeah, i would agree that your hermit may be detrimental in the future... red leged, although not as big as what you have, are bigger than the blue legs... and they have the coolest yellow eyes... red leged are a bit more expensive then the blue legs ( i have seen blue legs as sheep as a dime) so thats why i think blue legs are more popular, but the red leged are not as aggresive.
here is a pic of ony of my scarlet (red legged) hermit crabs.

Nice set up!!!! I loved your PICS! Nice rock formation.. I tried the epoxy but it guess it didnt stick, I found one rock tumbled one morning... =( =(
Kim

Thanks everyone!
Leigh, I think you're right. I've never actually seen a scarlet in person before, but that's what the LFS had them as. I have to say they were VERY pricy. If they end up being a mess then I'll build an invert tank too. If it's not a scarlet than does anyone know what it is?
Cheerflip1 & Kim. thanks for the kudos on the rockwork. First it's not live rock... yet. It's only 100lbs. of base. I'm going to work in 50 lbs. of LR over time. Second, I didn't use any adhesive. I just played with the rock over & over & over until I liked it and felt it was secure. It probably took 40 + hours, but I feel it looks pretty natural, and I can lean on any of the rocks in any direction without them moving. It was a huge pain in the a$$, but I think it was worth it.

leigh

I believe they're called a hairy red legged hermit crab or a white spot hermit crab. I would recommend you start that invert tank sooner rather than later if you want to keep him (or put him in only with very mean fish) as they will be a real threat to any sleeping fish. Also make sure you have plenty of big shells for them--otherwise they will kill any snails in bigger shells in order to get their shells. They are very aggressive...seriously, watch out what fish you put in with them--I heard, through the lfs, that mine caught and ate a sleeping hippo tang and I witnessed it destroy a chocolate chip starfish at the lfs. I keep it well fed with silversides and/or cocktail shrimp and it doesn't hassle any other inverts in the tank. And personally I love the guy--I think he's WAY more fun to watch than any fish of mine. (But you have to have that attitude cause they may keep you from having any fish :rolleyes: ) I hope this helps!
-leigh
oh, but on building invert tanks--i've recently switched over to having 2 50 gallon tanks. I really enjoy this setup--the top one is my reef and the bottom is my invert tank. i keep a bunch of caulerpa in the invert tank as well so in a sense it is functioning like a half-hearted sump/fuge. It's not as good as my old fuge used to be, but the stability of plumbing the two 50 gal tanks together has really been nice. I highly recommend this approach if you're thinking invert tank...

Thanks leigh I appreciate the advice. New question: If I can figure a fuge setup into my sump, then I can move these guys into the fuge? I don't see why not, my only q is will they eat pods, or will they munch on shrimp and silversides instead if it's provided?

leigh

Mine was in my fuge for a while and had no detrimental effects on pods (i think only because his claws were too big to get around a pod). But yes, I think they are way more interested in big meaty foods than anything else. Mine actually lets peppermint shrimp munch on his food while he's eating it. IME so long as what they're with is faster than they are and doesn't sleep (eg pods) it's all hunkey dorey.