Pics of my 125

farslayer

Originally Posted by rbrockm1
your shrooms look like rics and i love those. what colors are they?
Yup, they're rics. They're combos of brown, orange, some green, purple, some blues. They're really neat, and I'm going to secure them to some rock and get them to spread. Right now they're under 14K MH lighting, so the color is really nice and strong.

farslayer

Originally Posted by chilwil84
sweet pics but i think you need to play with your camera and get us a better pict of the torch more on the level of the pic before it only a little of the purple hue is showing
Nah, that's what he looks like! The color is wild, I've never seen one like it. I've had it about six months now. The polyps are darker as you move to the base, but the tips are that light pink color. It's wild man, I love it. I already have people begging me for a frag. That and my yellow fiji.

E

essop3

Have you ever been to any of the Chemical Valley Reef Club Meetings? There are a lot of people trading and selling frags. I was suprised to see someone from Charleston on here that I've never seen on our forums. I'll send you a PM with a link.

farslayer

I went to one a couple of years ago, but I just can't seem to stay in the loop on when the meetings are. Anyone every bring any frags of fox coral? :)

S

sudc

Originally Posted by Farslayer
Yup, they're rics. They're combos of brown, orange, some green, purple, some blues. They're really neat, and I'm going to secure them to some rock and get them to spread. Right now they're under 14K MH lighting, so the color is really nice and strong.
All are very nice but alot of those aren't rics, they are yuma's. Any with "bumps" on the mouth are yuma's, no "bumps" on the mouth are rics

farslayer

Originally Posted by SUDC
All are very nice but alot of those aren't rics, they are yuma's. Any with "bumps" on the mouth are yuma's, no "bumps" on the mouth are rics

Ah, thanks for the clarification, I never did quite understand that :) So if it has bumps on the surface, but just not on the mouth, they are rics?

farslayer

Originally Posted by lion_crazz
Fantastic pics of your corals! Thanks for sharing them with us.
No prob, the wife and kid are away, so needed something to do, so thought I'd share some of the cool stuff I've collected. Still got more in there so I may post some more tomorrow when the lights go back on, like my bubble coral and yellow sun (solid yellow, no hint of another color).

S

sudc

Ah, thanks for the clarification, I never did quite understand that :) So if it has bumps on the surface, but just not on the mouth, they are rics?
Yep, posts #3 and #6 are yumas, post #12 are rics.

farslayer

Originally Posted by SUDC
Yep, posts #3 and #6 are yumas, post #12 are rics.
Finally I know! And knowing is half the battle.
Seriously, thanks for telling me, I've never actually known the difference between them. But I do know they are really cool either way. I've got three yumas then on the sand bed (soon to be on the rocks) and I guess just the one ricordia. The rest of my shrooms are completely flat, some are pimpled though which is neat. Of course there are some ugly pimpled ones wedged between those zoos next to my GSP.

S

sudc

Finally I know! And knowing is half the battle.
Seriously, thanks for telling me, I've never actually known the difference between them. But I do know they are really cool either way. I've got three yumas then on the sand bed (soon to be on the rocks) and I guess just the one ricordia. The rest of my shrooms are completely flat, some are pimpled though which is neat. Of course there are some ugly pimpled ones wedged between those zoos next to my GSP.
Yeah, the orangish yuma on the left of post #3 looks SWEET!
Besides the difference in mouths, yumas have a different look to their polyps, usually more and fatter. Once you know, you can definitely tell the difference between any ric or yuma.
By the way, WHAT is that big metal coil in the 1st pic?!?!?!?!

farslayer

Yup, that fits them to a tee. The orange/brown yuma actually has some specks of blue in him as well that just didn't come out well in the picture. The green/purple yuma is my favorite (the blurry picture). Now that I know I can be more selective at the LFS. Yumas are typically priced higher, yes?
The coil is my 1/4HP chiller :) I have 4x250W HQI MH bulbs in a hanging fixture. I have fans blowing over the surface of the water, but the tank was getting way too hot, like up to 90 degrees!

S

sudc

Usually. Really nice yumas can go for as much as $400-500. No matter how nice the ric, maybe $40 at most. That being said, plain yumas are pretty cheap and usually cheaper than any type of orange ric.

farslayer

Makes me feel better about buying them :) The orange ricordia cost $45, but it was the entire size of the rock and then split. It is orange, brown, and has a green mouth. The yumas all cost $23 at the LFS, which is great. Nice and colorful, but of course not as colorful as some I've seen here.

S

sudc

Yeah, there are some INSANE yumas out there, although ALOT of them are the product of photoshopping skills as much as anything.
I have a few pretty nice ones but nothing unbelievable. MY lfs has a SICK one for $180 but thats a little pricey for me for a yuma. They have a bad tendency to melt away unexplained.

farslayer

Yeah, I've heard of the meltdown shroom problems. I had a purple stripe melt down when the tank hit 92 degrees, hence my immediate purchase of a chiller. $180 is way to much for me as well. BTW, any idea what type of clam the first one is? I've never identified id.