Picture taking questions

meowzer

i have seen a lot of beautiful pictures in this forum, and I am curious to know what types of cameras people are using. My pics from my camera can not compare. Please post cameras used. (I am in the market)
Thanks

socal57che

Olympus E-1 and Canon 40D.
Using a tripod makes a big difference.
If possible, do not use the flash.
If your camera has a "macro" mode, use it.
We have about $2K tied up in the outdated Oly and spent $1,300 on the Canon. People here are pulling off better shots with their $200 point and clicks. Hit a camera shop and try some out. Don't forget that walmart has a nice return policy.

natclanwy

I use a canon powershot S2 and a canon 30D, Like SoCal said don't get caught up in the high priced cameras start with an inexpensive camera first. Try a few at your local camera shop, you will want a camera that has a good macro mode try taking some pictures of a coin from less than 18" away from the lense in the camera shop to test the macro mode since this is the mode you will most often use in your aquarium.

socal57che

Originally Posted by natclanwy
http:///forum/post/2772934
I use a canon powershot S2 and a canon 30D,
Which macro do you use on your 30D? I'm in the market. My wife will likely get one for Christmas. (she got a new speedlite for her b-day)
Stick with Canon, or go aftermarket?

natclanwy

I don't have one yet ended up spending the money I had for a macro on an aquarium controller. Both the 60mm and 100mm Canon macros are excellent lenses but Sigma and Tamaron both make some good macros too. Here is a review that compares all of them from what I have gathered the Canon is the top of the barrel but there is little difference between any of them for image quality. I will most likely go with the 100mm Canon because I prefer the internal focusing and my other canon lenses are awesome. Last time I looked the prices were within $50 of each other but the canon was on sale at the time.

socal57che

Thanks, I was thinking Sigma. She has several for her Elan, but no macro. Never had an issue with them. She has used Tamron, but I don't think is was on her Canons.

cranberry

Currently have a canon 40D. I use mostly Canon lenses and have a couple of Tamrons.
What was your wife looking to take pictures of?

socal57che

Originally Posted by Cranberry
http:///forum/post/2773481
Currently have a canon 40D. I use mostly Canon lenses and have a couple of Tamrons.
What was your wife looking to take pictures of?
Wow, that sucked. I spent 15 minutes typing and it just went away.
Now you get the short version
Me-tank
Her-flowers
I'll get her a Plamp, too.
(photography is her life)
It just takes something out of it when she chooses her own Christmas gifts.
After college she started her own portrait studio. Three years into it, one of her former managers (she worked for ASI during school) called and asked her what it would take for her to come work for him again. This time for Olan Mills. She named a price, he said OK and she is now a vice president. She oversees the west coast operations which spans from Nebraska to ABQ, New Mexico then west to Hawaii.
I have little knowledge compared to her when it comes to photography.
Which lens do you use for tank shots and do you use the same lens outdoors?
Do you use a lens mounted macro flash or brackets? If so which one. I'm leaning toward brackets.
Thanks

shrimpi

canon rebel eos xt 18-55 lens
Heres a pic it took on AUTO. (Im Still learning all the settings ahah!)
Anyway, this is a pompom crab, its about .75 inch

or heres an old urchin

anyways, get a camera that you feel comfortable with, and that you can attach to a tripod. Turn off your pumps to better photograph moving things. Wait for the fish to come to you (its impossible to 'catch' a fish thats swimming all over). and also.. take a MILLION shots, that way you can see the differences of different settings etc.
Im hoping for a macro lens soon, but I think im gonna get the solana for xmas instead
Good Luck
Jess

cranberry

Originally Posted by socal57che
http:///forum/post/2773643
Wow, that sucked. I spent 15 minutes typing and it just went away.
Now you get the short version
Me-tank
Her-flowers
I'll get her a Plamp, too.
(photography is her life)
It just takes something out of it when she chooses her own Christmas gifts.
After college she started her own portrait studio. Three years into it, one of her former managers (she worked for ASI during school) called and asked her what it would take for her to come work for him again. This time for Olan Mills. She named a price, he said OK and she is now a vice president. She oversees the west coast operations which spans from Nebraska to ABQ, New Mexico then west to Hawaii.
I have little knowledge compared to her when it comes to photography.
Which lens do you use for tank shots and do you use the same lens outdoors?
Do you use a lens mounted macro flash or brackets? If so which one. I'm leaning toward brackets.
Thanks
I would definately go with a high end camera for your wife. The 40D is great on paper but I can't say I've been very pleased with it. Actually, if I had my time back I wouldn't have bought it.
For a macro lens I use the canon 100mm 1:1. You can use the lens outdoors if you are looking for to take macro shots of flowers. It can actually be easier to take photos outside in the natural daylight. But your wife is a professional... she won't have a problem making the adjustments for inside macro shots and she definately knows about how to light the scene being in the portrait biz. One of my favourite lenses is the Canon 50mm 1.8, but Santa is bringing me the 1.4. I use a few other lenses for "out and about" photos with a zoom over the fixed lenses... just makes site seeing photography much easier. I'll have to get back to you on those because I'm at work and I actually forget exactly what I have.
I don't use brackets but was thinking of getting some for my photo tank. A nice tripod is a must with the macro lens. I also use a shutter release to prevent shake. I use a right angle finder to save my back.

socal57che

http:///forum/post/2795946
I would definately go with a high end camera for your wife. The 40D is great on paper but I can't say I've been very pleased with it. Actually, if I had my time back I wouldn't have bought it.
For a macro lens I use the canon 100mm 1:1. You can use the lens outdoors if you are looking for to take macro shots of flowers. It can actually be easier to take photos outside in the natural daylight. But your wife is a professional... she won't have a problem making the adjustments for inside macro shots and she definately knows about how to light the scene being in the portrait biz. One of my favourite lenses is the Canon 50mm 1.8, but Santa is bringing me the 1.4. I use a few other lenses for "out and about" photos with a zoom over the fixed lenses... just makes site seeing photography much easier. I'll have to get back to you on those because I'm at work and I actually forget exactly what I have.
I don't use brackets but was thinking of getting some for my photo tank. A nice tripod is a must with the macro lens. I also use a shutter release to prevent shake. I use a right angle finder to save my back.
She has a Bogen-Manfrotto tripod, the Bogen-Manfrotto 3265 head and a Canon remote shutter release. We have been looking into the wireless image transfer setup, too.
Here's a pic of the lens I am prolly going to get and the tripod and head she has. (the head was over $100 and the tripod was around the $200 mark)

cranberry

Oh ya.... I know about those wireless transmitters. They are sweet! What camera does she have already? I have the bogen tripod base but with a different style head. Pricey aren't that.... LOL. But if anyone ever works with macro lens know the cheaper versions, a good tripod is the only way to go.
That lens is sweet. The 50mm I have, has a better fstop and makes it super easy to take pictures though. I can't see the pic you posted now that I'm typing, but isn't it a 2.8? The 50mm is a 1.8.... turns out great fish pictures. The only problem is, if the 1.8 lens gets tapped at all, it will be ruined. Which pretty much is what happened to mine, I suspect.

jeanheckle

Hey Renee,
OK now what. I was ready to purchase the canon 40d this weekend, I need to buy a canon because I already have canon lenses. Do you know anything else about canon and what is good. I'm surprised those Rebel EOS shots looked amazing and has less bells and whistles than the 40d.

gliderjohn

http:///forum/post/2795946
The 40D is great on paper but I can't say I've been very pleased with it. Actually, if I had my time back I wouldn't have bought it.
As Jeanheckle said, we we're lookiing at the 40D, not just for tank shots (but she'd be using it for that alot), but also for a lot of other types of photography.
What do you not like about the camera? Is there another Canon you would have bought? (We already have a couple of Canon EF lenses from an older film camera).

natclanwy

I love my 30d but the Rebel EOS DSLR's are awesome cameras too, not much difference between them and the Higher end versions 20d, 30d, 40d, 50d cameras. Probably the only thing that is very noticable to anyone is the Rebels use a plastic body housing and the higher end prosumer cameras use a magnesium weather resistant body. For most users the rebels are way more than adequate and usually have more features. The only reason I opted for the 30d was because of the magnesium body and the weather resistance since I carry my camera in my work truck out in the field so it takes alot of abuse from the 100+ miles of dirt roads that I drive on every day.

cranberry

I bought one and the focus was waaaaay off. So I brought it into a repair shop, I was going to pay to get it repaired because I was going on vacation in a couple of days so I didn't have time to wait to return it online. The repair guy refused to do it because he said it should never have made it off the assumbly line. He was looking at it like "wow, canon is really slipping in this line".... me: "Wha?". So, I replace that one and I STILL can't get a decent shot... they are all soft. I send it back to canon and they recab it.... I can't seem to figure out the necessary setting to pull some shots off with this camera. Like the exposure is all off. I've been a loyal canon girl all my life. Only bought one nikon. Went from the SLRs Elan 3e, 7e, rebel 350, 20d and now the 40D. I wish I still had the 20D and was saving for one of the professional models. My success rate went from 90% to more like 60%.

socal57che

http:///forum/post/2797010
Oh ya.... I know about those wireless transmitters. They are sweet! What camera does she have already?
Where to start....?
She got the 40D for mother's day and a new speedlite 430ex for her B-day.
She also uses...
Canon Elan7e - 35mm
My Olympus E-1 - digital
Hasselblad 501cm - 120mm (her baby)
We would like to own the Hasselblad H3D39, but that's dreaming.
I'd like to get her a digital back for her Hasselblad. Used Phase One digital backs are somewhat affordable.
She has several 35mm cameras that have been retired.