Pictures of my New Tank

ryand

has your tank cycled and i would of waited a lot longer till you get an anemone like at least 4 months that way the tank can mature

stevertr

My tank "cycled" instantaneously....in a matter of speaking.
I started it with 40 lbs of cured live rock from my my lfs, and 36 gallons of the "prepackaged Pacific Ocean Water" and 40lbs of live sand. In theory..that tank doesn't need to "cycle" as it's already got everything it needs on day 1. I supplemented it with 1/4tsp of that bacteria culture daily for 7 days. On day two, I threw in the Clowns and 2 Damsels, and since then all have been fine.
Currently Nitrites and Ammonia are 0, Nitrates at 30, and all else looks good.
Regards
Steve

sula

The general feedback on this board is that for an anemone to do well, it needs a mature tank of at least 6 months.
It sounds like ou had a really fast cycle. How are your corals doing? Iwant to start adding some easy ones to mine :)

stevertr

Originally posted by Sula
The general feedback on this board is that for an anemone to do well, it needs a mature tank of at least 6 months.
It sounds like you had a really fast cycle. How are your corals doing? Iwant to start adding some easy ones to mine :)

My corals are doing awesome!!
General feedback is an interesting thing....
What's the old saying..."opinions are like a***oles, everybody's got one" :eek:)
I'll tell you a secret I learned from one of my LFS owners the other day. Filters, Protein Skimmers, and all the other devices are just money makers that are totally unneccessary!! They just give hobbyists something to do.
He runs all his many tanks, both in and out of his shop, with a little box filter with fluff and carbon in it, run by an air stone!! That's it. He says everything else is just a silly waste of money.
If you have the right bacteria, properly growing and don't overfeed then there's nothing to "filter." There's no ammonia, since the bacteria gets rid of it, there is no particulate matter, unless you overfeed...etc.
I have a simple undergravel filter and he told me to just shut off the power head and throw an airstone in the corner...which I did the other day...
Pretty controvertial viewpoint....but his tanks look great and there's not a filter in sight....so I can't argue with the results..and he's been doing it for 20 years.
Steve

sula

Hmmm, another thing to consider is whether the creatures in those tanks are there long term - probably not, or else he wouldn't be in business for 20 years.
Not to be confrontational or anything, but I DO feel compelled to point out that your anemone "isn't doing well" hmmm maybe not a bunch of crap after all.
I think maybe I'll wait a few more months for my anemone.

sula

Revision: you didn't say crap, you said a silly waste of money - my mistake.
But also, your tank really DOES look nice :yes:

stevertr

THanks...
Remember...it wasn't ME saying they were a waste of money. I'm a newbie, and not qualified to say any such thing... I was just passing along the comment from the owner of my LFS.... Those were his words...not mine.
Not sure what the anemone's problem is...
As a scientist....in my previous life...he should really be doing fine, since the chemicals, temp, lighting, and salinity are all perfect...but then these creatures don't seem to transition too well to begin with.... I wish I had a way to test for any and all metals like Copper...but then there wouldn't be any source of it in my new system....

sula

Hey, I was sortof a scientist in a previous life also - Med Tech in a Medical Laboratory, you?
I'm encouraged that your corals are doing well, I was just today drooling over a toadstool that I'm thinking would make a great "host" for my clowns. I have 2 false percs in a 10g - that tank has no hope of ever supporting an anemone!

stevertr

The Tank/Stand was $399 at *****....with light, two glass shelves, cabinet and hood. The undergravel filter was another $30, and $25 for the heater, and $20 for the pwer head.....
Steve

stevertr

Sula...
Why wouldn't the 10g supprt an anemone? If the chemicals are right...toss in a small anemone and see what happens....
Just my opinion of course...

sula

Wow, you really like to live dangerously don't you? Do you walk around with a bullseye painted on your shirt too?

The reason I won't put an anemone in my 10g tank is that based upon the dozens of threads I've read in the "clownfish and anemone" forum, an anemone is a very difficult creature to keep, especially in an immature tank. I have sufficient light (96w) but since the tank is so small the water parameters tend to fluctuate. So I'd rather wait until my 29g (still a small tank) is stable and ready before I risk an anemone's life.
Besides, I've also read that when an anemone dies it can really screw up your tank, and potentially put your other inhabitants at risk....

mccdav2

Your setup is in effect a theory in progress.... Wait 2 months from now and then send photo's..
Thank You....

minitrucke

I had a anemone die and before I knew it was dead 3 of my other fish were dead as well. I took the dead stuff out and tested the water and everything was high. Over the next 2 days I lost everything else in my tank except for my eels

stevertr

Originally posted by minitrucke
I had a anemone die and before I knew it was dead 3 of my other fish were dead as well. I took the dead stuff out and tested the water and everything was high. Over the next 2 days I lost everything else in my tank except for my eels

Wow...that's wild!! Must be something toxic associated with them...or is is just the material decaying... Never heard of that happening with a fish, so it must be something anemone specific....
Steve