pink tip isn't very pink

cajonez

I received a pink tip bta about 2 months ago and it has never looked very pink. I am thinking that either i was sent a regular bta or it is not getting enough light since it is hiding under a cliff. I have 324w of T5 on a 55g tank.
What do you all think?

spanko

Agree, while not totally bleached it certainly is not as vibrant as some I have seen. When was the last time you changed you T5 bulbs?

cajonez

I changed the bulbs out in pairs. The oldest set being around 10 mo, newest is around 7. I guess, its about time for a change, yes?

meowzer

What type of bulbs are you using.....the tentacle look a little transparent to me.....
and how many bulbs are on this light set?

meowzer

OK....If I may suggest that you get a different type of bulb.....
ATI make good bulbs.....I think you need more intense lighting and the coralife kinda stink.
I am no light expert BUT....when I switched my T5 bulbs to these WOOHOO what a difference
Look into ATI Blue Plus, ATI blue specials, AquaScience Special 15000
BUT...ask Nikesb, or Spanko, for a better rotation.......

cajonez

I kinda suspected the bulbs were not the greatest, but wasn't really sure. The LFS's only sell these 2 brands. I'll have to check online for some better bulbs. Merry xmas to my fish tank :)

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajonez http:///forum/thread/382526/pink-tip-isn-t-very-pink#post_3338957
I kinda suspected the bulbs were not the greatest, but wasn't really sure. The LFS's only sell these 2 brands. I'll have to check online for some better bulbs. Merry xmas to my fish tank :)
Go to Google ..type in ati t5 bulbs
The 2nd and fourth sites are good... and I think the 2nd is the one that has both ati and aqua science....I don't remember at the moment...LOL

spanko

Front to back suggestion;
ATI blue+
Gesseman Pure Actinic
ATI Pro Color
ATI Blue +
ATI bluespecial
Geissmenn Pure Actinic (the owner of the tank below is going to change this bulb out for another ATI blue+)

And another example here(notice the color on the green nem)
A tank with 2 blue+ and aquablue special and a aquascience 15k...the 15k bulb is a 100% identical spectrum and color of the aquablue. so it will look the same if it had to aquablue

al&burke

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanko http:///forum/thread/382526/pink-tip-isn-t-very-pink#post_3338976
Front to back suggestion;
ATI blue+
Gesseman Pure Actinic
ATI Pro Color
ATI Blue +
ATI bluespecial
Geissmenn Pure Actinic (the owner of the tank below is going to change this bulb out for another ATI blue+)

And another example here(notice the color on the green nem)
A tank with 2 blue+ and aquablue special and a aquascience 15k...the 15k bulb is a 100% identical spectrum and color of the aquablue. so it will look the same if it had to aquablue

spanko that is beautiful, on the second tank the lights don't go over the whole length of the tank, does SWF sell these lights.

spanko

These are both 24 inch light fixtures. Cannot answer on the sale of these lights or bulbs by SWF as I don't know.

cajonez

Was looking for these bulbs and could not find the ATI Procolor in 48" for the life of me. Dug a little deeper and found a thread on an unnamed forum that said they were discontinued and replaced with Purple +.

cajonez

Ordered new lights Monday and they showed up today. Wow, what a difference. I didn't notice how dull the old bulbs had gotten until I put in the new ones.
Went pretty close to Spanko's first suggestion...
ATI Blue +
ATI True Actinic
Fuji Purple
ATI Blue +
ATI Aquablue Special
Giesemann Pure Actinic

meowzer

Did you just change them and put them right on....YOu have to acclimate the lights to your tank or you can bleach your corals

spanko

You will be happy with the effect on your coral with the new bulbs. How do you like the color combination you have?

cajonez

Overall, I am pleased with the look. The yellows, greens and reds really pop out. If anything it might be just a bit too purple...might swap out the purple + for something else next time.
I took before pics and tried to take some after pics today. The colors seem to be playing games with my camera, everything looks like it is under a dark blue cloud.

F

frakes

well i dont think its a pink-tip, as clownfish dont normally host that kind. it looks like a BTA to me!