Pinkish red Carnatian for trade

junbug1970

I bought this carnation from a lfs about 1 1/2 weeks ago. Not knowing is should be kept by an expert aquariast only. Is the nicest coral i have in my tank and the most expensive. I have called my lfs back and they wont take it back or traded. I was pissed for him not to advise me is a difficult species knowing that i am just a begginer and bought most of my stuff from him and asked alot of questions. Needless to say, i stop buying from them and went to a different lfs. I know partly my fault for not doing a reasearch first before i buy. Too late now.
When I first saw this, it stood nicely about 6" tall. ever since i took it home i can't make it happy. the highest i ever saw it in my tank is about 3-4inches tall. I feed him daily shot of microvert.
From what i've observed, an hour after i turn off my lights he awaken, but once my lights on, he shrinks. I've placed him at the bottom of my tank and makes no different. Perhaps i just don't have the right condition to appease him. I'd rather traded with an expert that will take good care of him rather than looking at it for a short term pretty sight.
If you would like to know more about it, please read on on this site :
http://www.***********.com/product/p...=22&pCatId=645
I cannot find any other information on the net about this species since it is a restricted species, nor i have ever seen it else where.
I am looking for something easy to keep and not too aggressive. i have enough lighting need and can provide strong water current. Prefferably something in red or blue. I currently have purple and brown gorgonias, brown frog spawn, blue bubble, pulsing xenia, daisyflower pot, leather, button and yellow polyps.

juggernaut

I have to admit that the carnations a rather tough...But if you do decide to give it a try you will first need to invert the rock and have it hang upside down as this is how they are in the wild (Found hanging upside down in caves), They also like a lot of current as well and you had better keep a bottle of Marnie Snow or Phytoplex handy as you will have to feed at least 3 times a week. These guys and sun coral are non-photosyntheic so usually at night they will fully expand looking for plankton.
Good Luck

pyro383

place it horizontal and keep it away from any bright light, consider it as reverse time cycle, it does well when lights are off and goes dormant when lights are on. The reason for horizontal instead of vertical is that it has a calcium stalk and can't supports its weight if it is vertical and will bend over, resulting in a crimp of its vessels and then dies.