pix whats this on my new rock

fishinfool

i dnot know how the girl at the lfs missd it its like 3 inches long. it did have some sand and shells stuck to it.i also got lots of feather dusters and stars some sponges i got to looking at it and its got stuff all over it. she was in a hurry when she got it was tons of people in the store and i told her i wanter 10 pounds of small rock.

jerth6932

Originally Posted by fishinfool
i dnot know how the girl at the lfs missd it its like 3 inches long. it did have some sand and shells stuck to it.i also got lots of feather dusters and stars some sponges i got to looking at it and its got stuff all over it. she was in a hurry when she got it was tons of people in the store and i told her i wanter 10 pounds of small rock.
Believe me LIVE rock is exactly that... you get all types of fun critters in there!!!!

mikeyjer

Originally Posted by Jerth6932
Believe me LIVE rock is exactly that... you get all types of fun critters in there!!!!
Jerth is exactly right there!!! That's why when I setup my new 90 bowfront, I'm gonna have to put all the new live rocks in QT for checkups, I don't want anything popping up later. After the experiences I've gone through, I don't take any risks!!! :happyfish

jerth6932

Originally Posted by Mikeyjer
Jerth is exactly right there!!! That's why when I setup my new 90 bowfront, I'm gonna have to put all the new live rocks in QT for checkups, I don't want anything popping up later. After the experiences I've gone through, I don't take any risks!!! :happyfish
LOL and if Cain420 pops his head in here and reads this he will tell you how he boils his LR to get rid of hitchikers!!! lol! He doesn't take chances of anything going wrong for him!!!!
QT's help out alot to know wether or not you have good hitchikers or bad ones! And you don't ruin your main tank!

mikeyjer

LOL and if Cain420 pops his head in here and reads this he will tell you how he boils his LR to get rid of hitchikers!!! lol! He doesn't take chances of anything going wrong for him!!!!
QT's help out alot to know wether or not you have good hitchikers or bad ones! And you don't ruin your main tank!
I actually thought about getting ALL dry live rocks to fill my new tank with and then place a few good pieces of my existing live rock in there to seed so I don't get nothing in there that I don't want. I wouldn't boil them cause what's the point of buying live rock when you kill off everything? Might as well buy them dry and save some bucks. :happyfish

jerth6932

I actually thought about getting ALL dry live rocks to fill my new tank with and then place a few good pieces of my existing live rock in there to seed so I don't get nothing in there that I don't want. I wouldn't boil them cause what's the point of buying live rock when you kill off everything? Might as well buy them dry and save some bucks. :happyfish
ITs kind of a joke.... but he did do it once... cause he had somthing that scared him in there...lol.....But yeah it does kill EVERY THING!!!! EVEN THE BENIFICAL STUFF!!!!! But even DRY LR can have things that come to life..... I have heard the stories with them too! That is what LR is about ..... LIVE MICRO ORGINISMS!!

mikeyjer

ITs kind of a joke.... but he did do it once... cause he had somthing that scared him in there...lol.....But yeah it does kill EVERY THING!!!! EVEN THE BENIFICAL STUFF!!!!! But even DRY LR can have things that come to life..... I have heard the stories with them too! That is what LR is about ..... LIVE MICRO ORGINISMS!!
Like what type of things that come back alive??? :notsure:
Oh my look at the time, gotta get in bed, early morning...talk at ya in the zoo post tomorrow!!! :happyfish

jerth6932

Like what type of things that come back alive??? :notsure:
Oh my look at the time, gotta get in bed, early morning...talk at ya in the zoo post tomorrow!!! :happyfish
ALWAYS.....lol..... Eggs can live through some crazy stuff.....So it is all a gamble!!!!

viper_930

The first is a sea cucumber.
In pics 3 and 4, do they have a hard skeleton? If so, I'm thinking they're probably cup corals.

bang guy

#1 is a filter feeding Cucumber as Viper indicated. If you notice it decreasing in size instead of getting larger (or staying the same) I would recommend removing it. Starvation is very likely with this animal and it can release a toxin that will quickly kill all of your fish if it is stressed.
If it were me I would keep it to see how it does but keep a very close eye on it.
#2 Pseudocorynactis caribbaeorum. This little jewel will mostly be found under rocks well away from any light. It will eat small pods and meaty fish food. They will reproduce easily but their avoidance of the light prevents them from becomming a pest.
These are actually a type of ahermatypic Mushroom commonly called Caribbean Mushrooms.

jerth6932

LOL there he is ...... I don't think I will ever let you live that down!!!! LOL IT still makes me laugh every time!

cain420

LOL there he is ...... I don't think I will ever let you live that down!!!! LOL IT still makes me laugh every time!
lol me too.. but when you are new and have no clue... panic is easy to do!